How do you protect 6.0.x before installing 6.5?

Right, what to make of all this new information? First of all, thanks to all who have made some very lengthy contributions. It’s certainly worth thinking about (being reminded of, if I’m honest) imaging but I am not a fan of System Restore, it always seems to leave one in limbo. But my main reluctance to plump for these as a solution is that, as one of you pointed out, things move on and there can be quite a bit of work to do afterwards. I run more on this system than Cubase.

Still, you have made your points very well and your comments are welcome.

I’m more interested in solutions that allow switching on the fly. Parallel installations have been mentioned and that may turn out to be the most practical solution, although my little voice is wondering whether it is a simple as that - running two versions that aren’t intended to run separately may interfere with each others settings.

Still hoping to hear about whether renaming the old EXE will work. If I end up having to try that myself I will definitely be thankful for the reminder of imaging.

That’ll have to do for now but let’s keep it going.

As it has nothing to do with my situation, being on Mac-I wonder how your comment advances the conversation in any professional way-hence my equally idiotic response. Now, back to our original programming. Anyone know if multiple versions of C6 can be kept on a Mac without a full disk clone?

You will probably have to try it yourself. Why would I try it? Just sayin’

Regrading imaging…not a bad idea at all for the entire system, but perhaps overkill if you’re just worried about messing up Cubase. It would be easier just to uninstall and reinstall the whole thing.

I googled “HDD imaging software Mac” before (IIRC you Can do that on a Mac also) and got results, so I don` t see, why your situation is so different, but please enlighten me in a professional way.

OP again. Can we all stop these sarcastic little asides and stick to the point, please. If you want to argue with someone, use the PM facility or start your own thread. Thank you.

@NYC: just spotted this thread. Eases my concerns somewhat. If I upgrade from 6.0.5 to 6.5, will my comps stay? - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Yep, I saw that one. It eased my concern some as well, but what I’d really like to know is in case some bug in the upgrade brings me to a dead stop, I can go back to where I was and continue working.

Making a CCC or SuperDuper clone of my boot drive takes hours. I’d rather not go there.

Aloha,
IMHO
It would be good to hear ‘officially’ from a mod on this topic.
Not just about Cubase but also Which Steinberg products
can ‘live’ with similar Steinberg updated/graded
products on a given system.

@ the OP:
I recently had (have) some 3rd party probs which
I thought as because of 6.05.
Someone on the board here pointed me to where
I could download 6.04.
I installed it and now both 6.05 and 6.04 (and C5) live
and work on the same 'puter.

One approach would be to move the current Cubase to a different location
(out of the Applications folder) when you install 6.5.

Once 6.5 is up-and-running, put the now older version back in.

HTH
{‘-’}

Hi Curt-so, just the application itself? You know this will work? What would you have to do, move the 6.5 app out of the folder each time you wanted to load a project in 6.05?

Naw I don’t know for sure.
(As you posted would be nice to get official word on this)

IMHO
You should not have to do that.

My point is:
1-Move what you have now (C6.05 app and its preference folder) to a new location
(out of the Applications Folder)
2-Then install 6.5. (You might have to dig out your original C6 discs).
C6.5 should make its own preference folder etc.
3-Once up-and-running with 6.5, put the older
6.05 back in the Applications Folder and put the 6.05 preference
folder back in ‘Preferences’.

At this point you should be able to open either app
by clicking on their respective icons in the dock.
Or by dragging files on top of them.

HTH
{‘-’}

Interesting read that, Curteye. Just one comment: couldn’t you just copy the 6.0.x PF folder so you can run the update on the original, rather than do a full re-install? Just a thought.

Yes! That should work as well.
Good catch C.

{‘-’}

I dunno-isn’t the upgrade gonna out various other things in other places as well? (preferences, templates, key commands,blah blah).

I don’t want to get into some sort of apples and oranges setup that ends up corrupted on both ends.

I just posted last night about what Prefs folder is used in 6.5 and I would gather that they are shared (and also that I’m a bit thick for not having realised this, although I fail to see the logic…). Welcome to the week.

I don’t think we need worry to much, maybe. Templates and KC’s certainly not. KCs were transferable between 5 and 6 iirc. Don’t think the prefs have changed either, have they? I was wondering about presets but it’s only AmpRack been updated, hasn’t it, and you could always save new ones out under new names, just in case. But I don’t think anything will have changed in that department, from the sound of it. As for other stuff, like lanes, it all sounds like it would be stored in the CPR and, as was mentioned earlier, there was official word that either version can open each other’s projects.

Lots of people are reporting they are happy with this upgrade, either by saying so when asked or by not saying anything at all. Round here, you’ll only get people with problems - that’s what the forum is largely for, after all - or people like us who are just trying to tread carefully (but, I suspect, getting rolled up with the others). Every upgrade has been like this and while there have been genuine gremlins I think they have been generally minor. I have never had any problem with any upgrade and I am getting more confident by the day that this will be the case with this one. What made me wary was how happy the people who had been complaining about v6 lanes were! I really liked them.

However, I think this is a useful exercise and I’m going to wait at least for 6.0.6 before I take the plunge, anyway. I don’t use synths and I’m happy with the lanes. The Warp feature looks good, though, so that may tempt me.