how do you watch the eq spikes like on logic?

anyone for petitioning this in a new update or a new feature in cubase 7?

I even dare to say that you don’t need the petition, I think it’s pretty obvious that this will be implemented.
Before the digital DAW only 'big’studio’s had one hardware analyzer on the output.
They surely would embrace it on every channel, but that was just not possible.

I use Voxengo’s Span. It’s free and probably not very acurate but I learned to work with it, and it improved my mixes a lot.

The studio eq should implement this feature alongside two more bands and availabilty to zoom in!

Spectrum analysers can be great tools and I do use them when necessary, but I find even the graphical representation of the eq bands can misguide when eq’ing.

Visual mixing is, in my opinion, one if the big draw backs of modern DAW production.
Try actually turning off the screens and listening, it can be very reveling to realise just how much an influence sight has on perceived sound.

If you have a hardware controller and assign the eq over to some “real” knobs then turn off the displays and do your eq, then compare that to what you eq with the displays on, the difference can be astonishingly large!

Just to note, I’m not belittling the request for decent built in real-time spectral display :stuck_out_tongue:

My request would be to have a built in display blank button, where it just made the displays go blank.

Spectrum analysers can be great tools and I do use them when necessary, but I find even the graphical representation of the eq bands can misguide when eq’ing.

True.
If I would switch from Voxengo’s Span to Bluecat’s analyzer my mix would come out differently.
If you use one then also take the time to learn how it reacts and then you can work with it.

anyone else wanna chime in for support?

Try actually turning off the screens and listening, it can be very revealing to realise just how much an influence sight has on perceived sound.

That’s the very it. Meters are all very well for the extremely skilled engineers and cutters but most people who use Cubase (and Logic mostly) just don’t come into that class enough to use them from day to day. There is Wavelab for that. It’s omission shaves time off the learning curve but if you really need it there’s other DAWs that have it.

My request would be to have a built in display blank button, where it just made the displays go blank

And take out that bloody button that makes your mind go blank. :laughing:

Spectrum analyzers are actually a pretty damn useful tools. If I’ve learned anything over the years, it’s that you can’t always just rely on your ears. Your ears (or brain for that matter) are very good at tricking you, especially during longer sessions when ear fatique kicks in, or when having to mix with headphones or in other less ideal circumstances.

Analyzers can help to show you when you are going off track, or when you just need some additional input/confirmation of what you think is going on (though let me stress that it’s nog the only tool for this purpose, like: taking a break, monitoring from different speakers, letting someone else listen and provide feedback, etc).

Obviously, you shouldn’t rely on just spectrum analyzers and overusing them would probably do more harm than use, but I certainly wouldn’t call analyzers useless…(though I wouldn’t call them absolutely essential either).

unhelpful troll much? me thinks you do.

would you agree its a basic function that should be built into cubases eq filtering as a la logic has it?

No. :mrgreen:

Well, I don’t know. I suppose it’s something that could be useful for a lot of Cubase users out there. I think for me personally, always having the analyzer there when eq’ing would probably make it too easy to start relying on it. But that’s just my personal view.

I guess ideally, it’d be handy if it were built-in as an option, where you could turn the analyzer on or off as desired. But i’m not sure it’s a must-have daw function to be honest…sorry. :slight_smile:

i like your idea of having the option to have it on or off. thats ideal

As a plugin…

Personally, no i don’t think it needs to be an essential inclusion.
It’s not a major hassle to strap Cubases’ analyser or any of the others suggested previously… the tools are there already… don’t see the point of wasting coding hours on what would essentially be eye candy.
Developing the ear takes time… LOTS of time for most people, like a lot of things in life there aren’t really any short cuts or substitutes for experience… some lucky people are born with it… the rest of us have to work damn hard at it!

You my find this useful though… from one of the masters! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r6BmcJpYeE&feature=player_embedded

a native experience would be nice

How can one troll a useless and pointless Logic fanpost? Eh. Brains?

its not a logic fan post its how to advance cubase. a good way to imrpove is like the borg assimilation. and improve on the original concept. thats how things survive and grow. hence the launch of studio one.

Ofcourse spectrum analyzing isn’t a basic function of an EQ. And certainly not because Logic has it. Spectrum analyzer is a wrong term in this case anyway, since the EQ in the example video doesn’t analyze anything, it’s basically a signal scope. One should be very careful to interpret such visuals, and it’s very questionable your EQ-ing will improve from seeing these pictures. I hope no time will be wasted in Hamburg adding such eye-candy.

What it obviously needs a built in spectrum analyzer for…

Well, I can’t take any credit for it as I believe I got the idea from Studio One. :wink: