How does doubler know which instrument to play for a given flow?

(Apologies for any redundancies - I couldn’t find this exact question answered on the forums, but it’s also hard to search for.)

I have a Player holding both Bb and A clarinets, playing A clarinet in the first flow and Bb in the second flow. There are no instrument changes within flows. (In this case, each flow represents a movement of a piece.)

On the clarinet part, I don’t see any indication of which instrument should be played for a given movement. So a player looking at the part for movement two will have no idea they’re supposed to switch from A to Bb. I can obviously just add text to this effect, but it seems like this is something Dorico should handle automatically. Is there a setting I’ve missed?

Layout Options > Staves and Systems > Staff labels on first system: Full

Thanks for the suggestion. That is a functional solution, for sure, but one I’ve never seen in an actual orchestral part. Staff labels that indent the staff this way make sense for a score but not for an individual part.

Is there a way to have the upper-left-corner part name (for a given flow) reflect the instrumentation for that flow? Or to place staff labels above the staff inside of to the side?

At the moment what you’re asking for isn’t easy - you’d have to do it by way of workarounds.

Instrument Change does not show up - Dorico - Steinberg Forums Indicates that you’d best waiting patiently for 2.2, which a) should be released shortly and b) should fix this for you.

For workarounds, search - this is by no means the first time this topic has come up.

Nice to hear that this will be addressed! I don’t mind using simple text as a stopgap solution.

I’m pretty sure this is already implemented in 2.1.10: see the option ‘Show instrument change label at start of flow’ on the Players page of Layout Options.

D’oh! Serves me right for not actually checking Layout Options properly before I posted. Sorry, Daniel, and sorry, Michael.

Thanks Daniel! I guess this one of those features that’s difficult to find through a search of the manual.

The manual hasn’t been updated for v2 yet. It’ll be in the Version History though…