How does one change unpitched percussion VST assignments now?

I have an unpitched percussion player with instruments that are routed across multiple VSTs. I used to be able to go into Play mode and click each instrument individually to assign it to the desired VST, but now there’s just one single track for the player, with a single routing assignment on the left panel. I can’t find a way to assign individual instruments to different VSTs now. I must be missing something obvious that changed with 4.2 or 4.3.

Is it possible that all the instruments have been amalgamated into a percussion kit in setup mode? If they have, you need to ‘remove instruments from kit’ to separate them all out again.

They are supposed to be in a kit. It’s one player with access to multiple instruments, performed from a 5-line staff as part of a larger ensemble. The issue is that I can’t assign individual instruments of the kit to different VSTs like I used to be able to do from Play Mode.

Even in 4.2 you have to ‘remove instruments from the kit’ in order to assign them individually in PLAY mode. Once you’ve assigned them you can then go back to Setup mode and ‘Combine Instruments into Kit’ again. That’s how it works for me…I’ve just tried it in 4.2 and it’s the same as 4.3.

Actually, I stand corrected…I think I see what you are saying…in 4.2 you can still see the individual instruments in PLAY mode. I think in 4.3 you must have to remove instruments from the kit to reassign them and then combine them again…Not sure whether this changed in 4.3 for any specific reason?..Daniel will have to chime in on this one. The behavior seems a little erratic because when I first tried it in 4.2 it was the same as 4.3, but I tried it again, and it was as you described in 4.2 - I could see the individual instruments in PLAY mode.

I’m on 4.3 now, but yes, I used to be able to just hop over to Play mode and assign them. But if I use your method and remove them and combine them again, it puts everything on the middle line and destroys the previous kit setup. I’m sure I’m not the only person who assigns multiple VSTs to instruments held by a single player…it seems strange that this would’ve gone unnoticed.

Yes, I do think there’s a little bug in here actually…If you unpack your percussion instruments you do get them back in PLAY mode but you do lose the kit setup as you say. If you then go to Layout Options and change from a 5-line staff to a Grid, you immediately lose the entries in PLAY mode again and have to unpack and pack your instruments again to get them back, which again leads to you losing your kit line or grid arrangement. It’s fairly easy behavior to reproduce so I’m sure the team can replicate it and figure out what’s going on.

I appears so. I may have to revert back to 4.0.2 or something like that in order to get this functionality back.

I don’t believe it’s been possible at any point in the Dorico 4.x releases to set routing independently for each instrument in a percussion kit. This was possible in Dorico 3.5, but it’s not something that is currently supported by the new Play mode. We’ll look into restoring this in a future update. I’m sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.

@dspreadbury I just reverted back to 4.1.0.1076 and was able to do it. When I go to Play Mode in that version, all of the kit instruments are listed individually and I can click on them to set their VST and MIDI Port/Channel.

OK, thanks. I will confer with my colleagues about this again tomorrow.

1 Like

Has there been any update on this? Should I stay on 4.1 if I need to assign percussion instruments in one player to multiple VSTs?

Yes, I’m afraid for the time being you should indeed use Dorico 4.1 if you need to adjust the routing for each instrument in the kit. We will restore this functionality in a future release, but at this stage I can’t say when that will be.

You can run Dorico 4.1 and Dorico 4.3.11 on the same machine, provided you don’t try to run them at the same time. If you’re on Mac, it’s as simple as renaming your current Dorico application package as e.g. Dorico 4.1, then installing Dorico 4.3.11, which will end up alongside it named Dorico 4. On Windows, you can rename the whole Dorico4 folder in C:\Program Files\Steinberg, then run the Dorico 4.3.11 installer.