How good is the new time strecth algo?

8.5 has a new improved time stretch feature.How good is it for very long time stretching?Ive been using Pauls extreme stretch for extra long time stretching to make some ambient music.But it has to be done outside of cubase which is pain.I seen a sonic state vid on youtube where he just briefly showed an example where the bpm was stretched for about 124bpm to 2bpm.It seemed to do the ambient thing like pauls extreme stretch but it was only a quick example.Anybody had a chance to do some long time stretching and how does it hold up?Cheers

I didn’t try it, but if you post an audio file, I would stretch it for you using the new algorithm.

You are limited to double the original length of the event you are stretching (per stretch).
So 2bars event can be stretched to 4. 4 bars to 8… Etc and so forth.

In 8.5, I Just stretched 4 bars to 64 bars (using multiple stretches) with “Elastique pro formant time” and had some usable material for ambient. Hard to tell the difference from earlier Elastique on big stretches.

On shorter stretches though it is easy to hear that it is much improved over earlier version!

So this thread raised my curiosity about the new Elastique Pro in
Cubase Pro 8.5 (Windows 64bit)

Here’s the test.

BPM at default 120
Imported Track: Mark Ronson “Uptown Funk ft Bruno Mars”
WAV 44.1 / 32
Loaded at time marker 1.1.1.0

Duplicated bars 17-21 onto new track and Bounced Selection out on new track to 44.1/32 bit

Using AUDIO → Process ->Time Stretch and Elastique Pro Formant Pitch algorithm
I doubled (200%) the copied 4 bars clip to 8 bars and Bounced Selection on the resulting 8 bars.

Using AUDIO → Process ->Time Stretch and Elastique Pro Formant Pitch algorithm
I halved (50%) the stretched and bounced 8 bars clip to 4 bars and Bounced Selection on the resulting 4 bars.

The result fit perfectly back in place of the original 4 bars.
With minor EQ adjustments in Fabfilter’s Pro-Q2, I was able to make it a nearly undetectable edit in place of the original 4 bars.
Even on something as sonically complex as a 4 bar clip from a fully mixed-down mastered pro studio hit song!! :slight_smile:

So is Elastique Pro perfect? No. Not perfect but very very close!

The Cubase Pro 8.5 implementation of Elastique Pro algorithm would certainly, IMHO, do the job for any professional studio production.

(and FYI, in subsequent tests of less complex source clip material it was really really close to perfect!)

Hope that helps you OP!

And for other users less experienced with Elastique Pro…

Elastique Pro Formant Pitch - favors preservation of pitch (and Formant) when stretching

Elastique Pro Formant Time - favors preservation of Rhythmic element (and Formant) when stretching

Elastique Pro Formant Tape - results in speed up or slow down (tempo and pitch) like playing faster or slower past a tape head when stretching.

That sounds very good, thanks for info!

I’m curious as to the difference between elastique Pro Tape, Pitch, Time, and the options that include “Formant” what the difference between these algorithms is, and their formant counterparts and what each one’s best application/use is? Is one overall better than the others?

Done some Google searching but can’t find anything that explains the difference

+1 and to add, where do you even use non format options, Disneys chipmunks cartoon?