How in the project logical editor show only certain group of instruments?

I have a structure of nested folders and tracks in it

:file_folder: Common template
. . . .:file_folder: VST midi
. . . … . . .:file_folder: ==strings==
. . . … . . … . . .:file_folder: SF
. . . … . . … . . … . . .midi
. . . … . . … . . .:file_folder: CSS
. . . … . . … . . .:file_folder: Berlin
. . . … . . .:file_folder: ==brass==
. . . … . . … . . .:file_folder: CS
. . . … . . … . . .:file_folder: SSBE
. . . … . . .:file_folder: ==woodwinds==
. . . … . . … . . . etc
. . . … . . … . . .etc
. . . … . . … . . .etc
:file_folder: Group Tracks
:file_folder: Project Instruments

I want to see only certain instruments to work with. For example I want to work with “strings” section. So I want to hide every other folders and keep visible folders and tracks inside “==strings==” folder. That is, in this case, folders “Common template”, “VST midi”, “==strings==”, “==strings==/SF”, “==strings==/CSS”, “==strings==/Berlin” should stay visible. And midi tracks inside those too. Folders “==brass==”, “==woodwinds==”, “Group Tracks”, “Project Instruments” must be hidden.

Question: Is there a way to do this using project logical editor without plenty of action? How?

P.S. Also, if I apply “show only brass” after I applied “show only strings”, brass folder must be appeared, but others to be hidden and vide versa.

P.P.S. The only way I came up with is to “prefix” every track in own folder and rely on it. For example, for each midi tracks inside “==strings==” I need to write a prefix “|s|”, for “==brass==” - “|b|” etc. Disadvantage of the approach is that to prefix 1000 tracks is not quite easy. And messy. Every track will be contain unnecessary information. So I’m searching for a better, nicely and elegant approach. Is it possible to do?

I use the Color Names to do this. Here’s the details

2 Likes

I do it using colour also, for example all my brass tracks visibly look the same yellow but the name of the colours are specifically as per the track:

Brass high would look yellow but the colour tablet name is “Brass Yellow [bh]”
Brass Low would be “Brass Yellow [bL]”

Then I can use the PLE to show/hide/mute/solo/whatever any colour name that contains [bh] to function the [bh] tracks etc.

1 Like

I thought about that (about relying on color names). Inside my folders of “strings”, “brass” I have separation by library names which colorized too (in order to quickly orientate among them). Looks like you have to sacrifice something :upside_down_face:

Thank you, I’ll try this way :upside_down_face:

You can do that too the same way:

Brass yellow Hollywood Brass [bh]
Brass yellow Spitfire Brass [bl]

PLE functions:

Colour Name contains Brass
Colour Name contains Spitfire
Colour Name contains [bh]

Would all yield different tracks.

Not really. As @Sub3OneDay points out you can make very complex selections this way. But the key is to come up with a naming scheme that lets you choose the characteristics which are important to you.

Not really. As @Sub3OneDay points out…

Yes, I already get it :)) And I already did it. Thanks to all of you :blush: