How is Nuendo working for you in 2014

You don’t have to be polite. I have thick skin. I appreciate it though.

If I need to pan a sounds right hand side towards the left without “moving the left” then the most intuitive thing appears to be to grab the right side and move it left, without risking moving both sides while narrowing the field. Know what I mean?

There’s plenty of space in the inspector to put those buttons and leave them up.

Doesn’t do that on my computer. Crosshair Cursor enabled in prefs.

If I was “making music” I’d probably agree with you. For post I think it’s pretty much even with a PT studio, ignoring for a second that a PT studio would have to pay more for ADR, Control Room (hardware) and media management.

I have no problem recognizing all that’s great, and I mean really great about Nuendo, but since the guy asked it’s only fair to point out possible nuisances and stuff that either kills or slows down the workflow.

Hello bcslaam
I am with Nuendo since v.1.5. I have never bought into ProTools. Those guys practically camped outside my studio doors when word got round we open this facility, but it could never convince us … not feature-, stability-, nor sound-wise. Instead, we decided to go hardware with a Sony DASH 3324S and a Soundtracs Inline ( support for the brandnew desk ended 5 years after they sold it to us on an AES convention!).
Anyway, when time and jobs made it necessary to go digital I had a very close look into all competitors and decided for Nuendo for good reasons and have never regretted this decision.

I do have my problems with the new mixer design which I find plain stupid and far less comfortable than the 5.5 design, thus my avatar on the right… But in any other respect, this Nuendo 6.5 is a real beast and runs on Win7 and Win8.1 64bit absolutely rock-solid. The new features are real killers and the ADR is an excellent tool, to name just one. Take those 400 hours and work through a few projects. You will not want to go back. And allthough I use other DAWs, too… Nuendo is still my first choice. Anything else is miles behind…

Even if I am usually a bit grumpy with SB they do a marvelous job and move, slightly slow, in the right direction.
Yamaha seems a reliable owner w/o any funny ideas and that is much appreciated, too. Insiders might even speak of certain advantages. It seems to be a well working, lasting partnership.

Cheers, Big K
Plz, tell nobody I lauded SB, They might get a little fresh …
:wink:

This all stayed smashingly civill throughout. Yay us!

Hello all,

thank you for your comments and the useful discussion.

Ben, welcome to the forums and (pherhaps even) the Nuendo community sometime soon.
As already mentioned a couple of times, I would also recommend you to try out Nuendo 6.5
for 400 working hours in order to find out if it fits your workflow (which of course is most important).

Thanks,
Timo

Very happy with Nuendo here. Been using it since v1. I do commercials, TV shows, indie films, as well as post work. The customizable key commands and logical editor really make it powerful. I own PT but only kept it around for people with PT projects I had to open. Will probably sell it now as I haven’t used it in a long while.

I’d also add that Nuage looks very very good. I think it’s probably a very suitable alternative to the Avid lines of controllers, considering pricing. The only question mark is how long it’ll last. Houston, WK-Audio ID, CMC, and audio i/o and midi interfaces have had a tendency to get discontinued pretty “quickly”, though the word “quickly” is obviously subjective. (I believe I got the devices right)

I think the new element there, as compared to the previous hit and miss efforts from Steinberg, is the “Yamaha” stenciled on Nuage. Yamaha is making a statement with Nuage and they have the resources to see it through without it having to pay for itself in a hurry. I can’t think of a time when Yamaha has ever orphaned a product in the same way as the more egregious examples above. But it’s a fair question to ask.

I had the opportunity (through the kindness of Yamaha US) to get hands on with Nuage at my studio for several weeks. I have had years of hands-on with Euphonix Sys 5 Eucon and plenty of session time with the usual assortment of Control 24, etc. Nuage is extremely well thought out and easily the most professional and tightly integrated solution to DAW control I have seen. I think it outpaces any other DAW controller to date.

I am a one man operation and so have my space extremely customized (think Doc’s lab from Back To The Future) to whatever fancy I like. Touchscreens and custom keypads and odd ancilliary devices aplenty crowding my workspace, so I pose an odd case and a challenge for wedging in a larger control surface. But if I was operating a commercial Nuendo based room(s) with multiple engineers, I would grab Nuage for sure. Once set up, it never failed to work properly throughout my time with it. And I did weird things with it!

Nuage is very well done and I have to congratulate Yamaha/Steinberg for it.

As not being a fan of controllers - I think that they slow down some processes/routines too much- I was immediately hooked on Nuage. I am absolutely madly in love with this thing and wouldn’t want to change it for any other controller.

Fredo

Working here like a dream. One crash in the last month.
Mostly just doing music production with the occasional video project.

Thanks everyone for the replys and openess to dicuss the direction of Steinberg.
I will re-install Nuendo again and hopefully some of my 400hrs are left. I had to wipe my drive in a hurry to try and get eucon to work in windows 8.1 64bit.

Regarding AAF, is there long standing issues or is it getting better? There seemed to be some conflicting opinions expressed here.

How is re-conforming working for post using ediload/maisch? Is that the best combo?

Thanks for the welcome Timo, if you’re still listening, is there any future plans for built in conforming tools, similar or better to the Field Recorder Guide expand feature in PT?

Do you have any comment on whether or not SB has plans to go to subscription licensing?

And to the wider comunity; Is there a need for reference video frame locking and extra sync hardware in order to keep video and audio precisely locked or can you rely on using an extra monitor via desktop extension? PT cant and still needs sync HD with a Decklink card or similar. Having said that I dont have a sync HD and get by without it but I have had some occasional sync issues because of it.

Best Regards
Ben Chase

It’s supposedly getting better. My issue was marketing the compatibility and then it not being there. If it gets better then I’m stuck having to pay for it (again) rather than it being compatible at the time I initially bought it. People say 6.5 is much better. I’m guessing we still don’t have the options we have in PT for importing session data though. Depending on the project I may nuke all automation/rendered effects etc, or translate clip-gain to automation or whatever - on import-, which you can’t do in Nuendo.

You’re not the only one who wants to know, and since you asked about the company Steinberg is terrible at giving out information ahead of time. I even asked a specific question about a controller at one point, a question acknowledged by someone here which wasn’t answered with anything but a somewhat snide remark, leading me to buy hardware from a competitor instead. A lost sale in other words. It appears they simply don’t care about that. Fine by me as the hardware was discontinued shortly after introduction anyway.

I always run my video out through my regular consumer card. I don’t do film at home so one could argue that sync is allowed to be a bit more “loose”. I know that’s probably a questionable stance, but I’ve found that the editors I work with typically have synced the audio fine, and I never have issues with delivered mixes coming back because of bad sync. But my guess is that it is highly system-dependent.

As I said earlier, as long as you have tested a feature and it works for you Nuendo is highly reliable and does a great job. A really great job.

bcslaam,

aaf is working well in 6.5, no complaints at all here. it was very buggy in the os x version 5.5-6.0x.

I know subscription licensing has been considered.

If it comes and it will be implemented as in PT they will see me jumping off the platform faster than they can say “sorry”

I hope they don’t force me to leave, because I really love Nuendo.

Ollie

Where did you get that from?

Fredo

Okay, I am sorry.
I don’t actually know. I assume as a result of questions I have been asked.

Hi Ben,
here at Yellow Cab we have been using Nuendo since v2, and started in 2004 after finding that the upgrade path for our Fairlight MFX3+ machines was very, very steep. We now have a dozen Nuendo rigs, that cover everything from corporate film voice overs to feature film mixing.
We only recently started used N6 as the 6.5 release was a great one, and we had a few issues with 6.0 that forced us back to N5.5 (very stable, that one).
We also have a few PT HD rigs, including a new HDX rig in a TV mix studio that is there for outside mixers that dont have time to learn Nuendo. And from my perspective the list of things missing in Nuendo vs PT is getting smaller and smaller.

One great addition to Nuendo, as some have stated, is the ADR Taker tool. This is just such a time-saver on ADR session prep time, as well as for the session itself! We recently recorded group ADR for Taken3, and it was a breeze.

Controller-wise, we are very much Euphonix fans here. We just installed our 3rd System 5 console (and we also have a S5-MC), in our new TV mix room, and the new eMix v6 software allows the S5 to be a very complete controller (all automation and transport functions on the S5 can now control Nuendo directly).

If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

Steven

I moved to Nuendo from PT almost ten years ago and never looked back. The only feature I missed in PT was the ability to have multiple track versions. Now that it’s available in N6.5, I’m very happy.