How long does OS support last for Dorico versions?

I couldn’t find any information on the website about which versions of MacOS are support by Dorico 3.5. Does it work on Ventura for example? Only info was about Dorico 4.

And related to this: how long can we expect Dorico 4 to be supported on coming versions MacOS?

I’m thinking about upgrading to Dorico 4 now. But I’ll prob get a new Macbook Pro next year, but say they come out just after Apple releases a new version of MacOS, thus forcing me and others buying a new laptop to use the latest version of MacOS (a real pain, I know). So my worry is that if Dorico 5 comes out in between, that Dorico 4 won’t support the next version of MacOS and my newly bought software would be incompatible in less than a year. Could we have some promise/reassurance on how many years/versions of OS updates will be supported by the penultimate version of Dorico after the release of the next major version? Thanks.

Considering Dorico’s excellent history of frequent free update releases to each [new] version of their program, I expect your immediate concern would not be a problem.

EDITED

Although it’s not impossible that we could do it, to date we have never released an update to a previous generation of Dorico after the release of the new generation. So, for example, we never released an update to Dorico 3.1 after Dorico 3.5 was released, and I can’t imagine us releasing an update for Dorico 3.5 now that Dorico 4 is the current version. Extending this forward, therefore, it’s unlikely that we would release any more updates for Dorico 4 after the release of Dorico 5.

But so far there has also been no compelling reason to do this. I’m running macOS 13 Ventura on my Mac here, and I can still run Dorico 3.5 on this machine with no problems.

Obviously we cannot predict the future. We have no more insight as to what future versions of macOS might be like, or when they might withdraw certain features of the operating system that Dorico relies upon. But given that Dorico 4 is already fully native on the new Apple silicon architecture, there’s good reason to think that this current version will run on future versions of macOS for at least the next few years.

Hopefully you will in any case find that we add such interesting and useful features to Dorico 5 that you will decide to buy the update when it arrives, in which case you won’t need to worry, as the current version of the application will always be supported on the current version of macOS.

5 Likes

Thank you, Daniel, for a quick and thorough answer!

Good to hear that Dorico 3.5 has so far been working on the latest macOS even without official support. Perhaps official compatibility could be indicated on the Steinberg website for previous versions as well for those users who are still using an older version of Dorico (and wondering can they update their OS without issues). Also, it could be nice to mention if there are no known issues on newer OS versions even if it can’t be guaranteed? (This is what Capture One does, for example. A nice bit of user friendly info.)

Of course the real culprit is Apple with their excessive yearly OS version updates while forcing owners of new hardware to use only the latest OS instead of one that is more stable or supported by more software. This forces either software developers or end users to be more flexible and carry the cost.

Each OS contains code that controls known hardware. New hardware has to use the latest OS, because only the latest OS knows about the new hardware. An OS from 3 years ago doesn’t know how computers from the future work!

Generally, upgrading to the next OS version causes very few problems, if your software is up-to-date on the previous OS. Large jumps (e.g. suddenly updating from High Sierra to Ventura) can be problematic, because your apps will be expecting an OS of a similar vintage.

Software development never stands still: all code has to be ‘maintained’, just to keep it working. That goes for the OS, as much as the apps.

Generally, software devs are working to keep their software compatible with the latest OS, which means THAT is the OS supported by most software.

In any event, I’d recommend staying up-to-date with Dorico, as there are so many new features in v4.

4 Likes