How mouse friendly is Dorico?

I have no idea - I’m not a member of that team.

My personal attitude is to use the best tool for the task that needs to be done. Sometimes that is a mouse, and sometimes it isn’t. For entering a lot of notes quickly, a mouse is never the best tool IMO.

That leads me to the question: What is a “Junior Member” on the forum. Some of them have been really knowledgeable and helpful–you, Rob, particularly. Thank you for the hours you must be spending each day helping people.

I started thinking that Junior Members were beta testers, but I think I may have been wrong about that.

Incidentally, my major problem using the mouse is adding/changing notes when I am just trying to select something or position the cursor/caret. I think that has to do with my not paying enough attention to the Insert mode setting.

Thanks again for your help.

Once you get to 50 posts, you’re a Junior.

I’d love also to be able to move notes with the mouse, copy them and so on. For me, it makes no sense to avoid this possibility just to “avoid user error”. There could be even an option to “activate” mouse or not!. Avoiding to use the mouse to move notes or blocks of notes was one for the first things that I hated from Sibelius.

I really thought that Dorico was going to have this capability. Actually, it don’t think it is even a capability, it is just something that is absolute standard nowadays. I thought it was going to be there, as a standard tool. Keyboard shortcuts? Sure, but why avoid using the mouse?

Every DAW out there has the capability to move notes with the mouse! I know, I know, Dorico is not a DAW, but for me it is really incredible that it is forbidden to copy and move notes with the mouse. clik&move+Alt to copy and so on, seems something really standard these days.

For me, Dorico is not only an engraving tool, it is also a composing tool, and a DAW. I’d like to be able to compose music there as easy as I do in Cubase, Ableton, or Logic. But avoiding the use of mouse definitely breaks that idea.

Derrek, if you want to select something in write mode, make sure the select mode is enabled. That’s the arrow key icon at the bottom of the left side panel.

Alroli, we will add the ability to move notes rhytmically with the mouse, and we will add the ability to change the pitch of notes with the mouse.

Pen input is becoming an issue, too. It works quite well in Dorico (I’m on a Thinkpad Yoga i7 w/active pen, same functionality as the Surface Pro) especially with note input (which is something the latest Sib iterations have also implemented and advertised loudly), although it really is just a glorified mouse input as of yet (as in Sib)- the drawing in of notes will probably be left to the likes of Staffpad and NotateMe for the near future.

Speaking of which, I wonder if the manual (handwritten) annotations function that said competitor has implemented as of version 8 is something Dorico is looking at, as well… somehow the focus on polished engraving speaks to the contrary, we’ll see.

Thanks, Stefan. Will that happen before the demo is released?

Agree. The fastest way for me is usually real time MIDI recordIng, which I know D will get.
The second fastest is step input if one can use the sustain pedal to move one step forward, because way one cannot only move forward in order to create a rest: one can also extend the note one is about to enter via step time from a MIDI keyboard. This is done by pressing a key (or keys) on the keyboard, and then move forward three times with the pedal before lifting the finger. This way, the 1/8 note (or chord) has turned into a dotted 1/4 note.

I would probably have bought Dorico the first day if it had, ideally, the three most commonly used input methods on my current DAW, and while I still plan to buy Dorico, it seems that none of my three favorite input methods are implemented yet. But I’m an optimistic guy. :slight_smile:

No, not necessarily. But everything needs to be implemented, which takes time, so the question is what to prioritize.

Even with my preference for keyboard input, I can recognize the importance of being able to use the mouse in many situations to prevent having to go back and forth between the two constantly. At the moment I find Dorico’s mouse selection to be pretty inaccurate; e.g., try selecting a note without selecting it’s associated slur – it’s nearly impossible. This seems to imply a clear preference for the keyboard, but should become vastly improved, IMO.

Of course - and it’s quite fascinating to see that Steinberg emphasise implementing engraving functionality and various functions maybe only pro engravers will need or a very small fraction of the score users in this world will need: not only fascinating but also brave, or even historical. At the same time, it’s also “historical” to launch a pro MIDI app which cannot record MIDI yet, with limited mouse capabilities and where one cannot hear the notes one clicks on the screen - let alone that one cannot hear them when they are entered either or - and where they cannot be moved with a mouse. Or wait – the latter was the case with Sibelius for many years as well (and actually the main reason I never bought Sibelius). It’s both fascinating and also something which makes me think (for the first time in my life!) “they should try to become a little more mainstream”.

I have never needed a nested tuplet en my whole life, and I’m truly respectful for all the great stuff Dorico has in 1.0 in that area. But I fear that if they continue being so brave (in the sense that “if MIDI/mouse functions I believe most composers find essential will take more than just a very few weeks to be implemented”), they risk losing a large amount of potential customers… like me, for instance; a frustrated Logic user who experience that Apple doesn’t “think different” anymore, and focus way too much on market share and going mainstream. (I don’t believe in conspiracy theories, but if I did, I would say that Apple was on a mission to kill classical music and notation based composing, and instead make pop music and pop culture even more popular than it already is.)

Dorico has made me a lot more interested in Cubase, especially since someone mentioned big plans in terms of Cubase/Dorico integration. But first, I need to find out how long time it takes for Steinberg to get playback/MIDI (recording) and mousing right.

Hi all,
last night I had an epiphany…

In order to make the mouse fly for me, I’d love two things:

1. An automatic “widening” of the “input area” (i.e. the bar I’m working on and where the input caret is located) depending on the setting of the rhythmic grid!
    This way, I’d have to be less precise with the mouse inputting e.g. 16th notes and could be much faster inputting, say, a walking bass line consisting of just quarter notes. Like an input quantize thing! Of course I could still select a 16th note input if I wanted to.
    I realize that in order to do this in a non-jarring way (score jumping around depending on the grid and where the caret is located, we might have to have some kind of “popover area”, but INSIDE the system, just for note input!

2. And then the knockout blow: Make certain input grid settings selectable with the mouse wheel! Imagine… :slight_smile:

An aside: I’m left-handed, and I love workflows with my right hand on the number keys of a full keyboard and my mouse in the left. The mouse-wheel selectable grid for me would be like having a laser gun sight… :slight_smile:

Idea?

Cheers,
Benji

Interesting that you call it a “pro MIDI app”. Silly me, I thought it was for producing notation, not MIDI :wink:

now that would be great. And if it would work with a mouse wheel, maybe it could work with assignable faders, or even some foot controller too (expression pedal?), leaving both hands free for other chores like pitch input, slurs etc… lightning fast input.

Well, I actually produce notation with my MIDI keyboard. I compose music in the same way I play: with a piano. But then, I want to move notes, rearrange sound blocks and so on. And that may be done much more easily with a mouse.

Sure, but I wouldn’t describe “note input from a MIDI keyboard” as “pro MIDI”. There is plenty of free (and legal) software available that can do that perfectly well!

Let’s call it a pro application which uses MIDI then. OK? :slight_smile:

we will add the ability to move notes rhythmically with the mouse, and we will add the ability to change the pitch of notes with the mouse.

Another followup question: Are there any news about when this may happen? This, and real time MIDI recording (I’m a pianist and entering notes in real time is very often a lot faster and easier than other methods) are both essential for my workflow.

I do all my inputting in Sibelius that way, together with the numberpad and function keys, and havent ever had a problem. I HAVE had problems where things have moved for other reasons, but not while inputting basic notes.

David

Hi again, regarding “we will add the ability to move notes rhythmically with the mouse, and we will add the ability to change the pitch of notes with the mouse”: any news about when?

I found a key command called “Mouse Edit: ChangeEventPositionOrDuration”, so I thought maybe this was possible if one only enabled the function with this key command. But when I use the key command, I only get a message saying “An error occurred”.

Note that you can do these operations with the mouse in Play Mode