How Much Does Windows OS REALLY hamper Cubase?

Oh sorry, I thought you had XP, but that is for your dedicated music system. In my wordpad in XP it works. If I convert it over to a pdf would that work for you?

[Edit- I did it anyway. :smiley: ]
TweakHound_XP_Services_SP3.pdf (51.6 KB)

Try Open Office (it’s free)

http://www.openoffice.org/

Steve, did you look at Black Viper? www.blackviper.com
This site lists every windows XP service, describes it, and explains whether you can turn it off. There are indeed services you can turn off in xp depending on your use. Maybe you already looked there.

One of the best ways of improving Xp ( and Win 7 32 ) is to apply the 3Gb switch.

+1

Without the 3GB Switch I can access, at best, only about 1.7GB before Cubase crashes, with the switch I can access well over 2GB, a very handy increase.

I’ve read some people have had problems with this but I never had any.

Mauri.

If you try the /3GB switch, MAKE SURE TO ADD A LINE TO THE BOOT.INI INSTEAD OF MODDING THE FIRST!!!

If you run multiple UADs, you need to use the /USERVA= switch and subtract 100 from the recommended value for the first two cards and 100 for each additional.

All hardware devices, internal and external use virtual address space which takes away from the total amount of memory installed.

You can use the switch with W7 32bit, but the proceedure is different.

Yes and no. Without the switch, Cubase can use up to 2GB but reserves 500MB for housekeeping. Apps that are LAA can use up to 4GB with the switch. Cubase is LAA.

IMO the “retail vs custom” is all in the definition and most define it as anything labeled Dell. Sure , if you’re thinking you can go to Best Buy and pick up a Vostro for $500 (or HP for that matter) and be off to the races you’re likely mistaken but the sensible thing is to order Dell directly and they’ll install and ship what you ask for. So many myths get repeated over and over about “junk” shipping with these that just doesn’t exisit. Anyway,I’m just saying.

And easier. I followed these instructions …

Oh boy, reading this lot, I don’t miss Windows at all. Not one bit.

Why? Windows works fine.

Yep

That’s definitely true. However, I was generalizing on retail (ie… people following the "pick up a 500$ all-in-one box at best buy.) You’re most likely going to have problems going that route, until you start digging into the problems and start tweaking to correct. Many Dell machines (and others as well) allow you to dictate how it gets put together. Plus, this isn’t reaching into the “custom designed for a DAW” computer, which IMO is a waste of money. I’d buy “the Dell type”, then pay a friend who is well versed in the tweaking category to get it up to par. I think that way will save you hundreds and get you the same result.

Neither do I. My “office” computer is XP SP2, and I have 4 gigs installed. It sees something like 3.28 gigs. But since I never go over 30% I’m not really worried about it. Though I might think about doing it if there is a major increase in performance (especially if there is some kind of interaction with the Graphics card)…

Only time to worry is if a project has issues and is using approx. 1.5 GB of RAM. Many symptoms, but that’s the illness.

AlacrityPC works with XP and Vista oficially, it seems to work fine with W7 too.
This app shutdowns whatever you don´t want\need to be open while running Cubase or anything else, when you shut down Cubase it goes to its previous state.

It´s cool, providing you know what you´re doing.
http://kensalter.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

Looks interesting. Could be god for Adobe Lightroom as well

I think so, Paul.
You may set what services and applications run on the background per application. No need to mess with the OS more than it´s needed.