How much Visual feedback can be achieved using Mapping Assistant

Hello
Just another quick question, for the Cubase 12 Pro experts out there.

I am currently making some DIY control surfaces for use with Cubase 12, primarily using the built in Mapping Assistant to create a script to use in Cubase 12 which will give my control surface functionality, and I was wondering…

I see, when first setting up a new control surface in the Mapping Assistant that both MIDI input and MIDI output selections are available.

Setting up cubase to use incoming data from external control surface is fairly straight forward, however, I was wondering how easy it is (or how comprehensive it is) to set up cubase to send data that gives visual feedback with regards to various settings in cubase.

Example of this would be to get Cubase to send the level of an aux send or channel vol, or eq setting etc.

I see in the mapping assistant, things like Meter are available on Channel settings available. I am however confused how to set this up.

Any insight / advice into this would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi ghostdzog,

from what i experienced with the mapping assistant is, that you can map nearly everything to encoders, buttons, faders and all of that, in a very convenient and easy way.

But the mapping assistant has absolute ZERO functions, that would provide any feedback in any form. Be it lamps, LED rings, displays, colours etc.
No feedback at all.

If you want feedback, you need to code it with the API and JavaScript.
If you are familiar with these kind of things, you could try it.
BUT mind you, you would need to do the mappings too and there you will experience very fast, how the API has its limits. The worst thing is the fact, that you cant mix code from the mapping assistant script, with code that is done with API functions.

We are trapped in a very big dilemma here.
To answer it simple, there is simply NO visual feedback at all possible with Mapping Assistant.
And i really wish, that i am wrong here.

Hi,

You can send the value back to the given MIDI Output, if you set the Value Mode to Jump in the MIDI Remote Mapping Assistant.

Be aware, you can send only the very same message, which comes in. Some devices ask for other message (to display it on the ring or whatever) and you can’t modify the message in any way.

Hello u-man
Thanks for your answer. You confirm what I expected. Shame that Steinberg didn’t include a comprehensive set of features that allows the users to add the visual feedback in their mapping assistant, as I am sure such features would be definitely be welcomed
although, perhaps they leave these types of features for those who have a good command of javascript

Thanks for the info here.
Interesting, although, as you say, these features may not be as useful as it sounds

One thing i found previously, that i can’t seem to find again
was a basic guide on programming for the API

this short document gave a few examples of scripts which were created using Javascript
and was followed by a list of the functions that can be used

If you can find this elusive document, you may be able to adapt the code to suit your needs,
i would imagine that it would be possible to use JavaScript with an IDE or Microsoft Visual Studio to create a working script, if you know how to code using JavaScript

I am just a novice using JavaScript, but perhaps i will try and get my head around it

Its available from within cubase in the midi-remote window. Scripting tools 4th icon.

Ron

I would not say shame. I can imagine the reason why they did it this way, because there are too many and too different controllers to match them all. I just dont understand why they did not gave us any options to fill the requirements needed for proper feedback. Most people understand, how their controllers are working and if not, well “READ the effing manual” is all i can say.

So instead of receiving data back at the very same CC, which is very dangerous btw. as you can easily create a infinity midi-loop, we should have a option, how the receiving data should be treated.
This is sadly not the case. A simple transformer tool would be enough for so many cases, where feedback is involved.