How stable is cubase 9.5 right now?

1 crash a week for any DAW would be unusually low. It depends on interactions with other SW etc but I def get several crashes a week. I run Cubase 9.5.3 on PC and Mac and have seen crashes on both. Also thoough Protools 12.5 on PC and Mac I’ve had crash too.

Most of the time I dont lose much / anything but i’ve had a few weird things were autosave didnt seem background save and I lost hours or work… Not quite sure whats going on there but maybe another thread for that.

Really?
Not my experience in Cubase any more…used to be like this but has gradually been getting more and more stable since version 6. I’ve had one crash in 9.5 since I upgraded in December last year and a couple more times when I’ve felt it was about to (nothing responded) but I stood back and it all came back

1 crash since Dec 2017. Can I buy your machine :smiley:

Veeerrry rare I get a Cubase crash these days. It does happen, but rarely enough it’s easy to get blasé and forget to save projects when working.

For the right price, probably more than you’d want to pay (so nice to have a working system!)… :smiley:

Mr. Denis, as a multiplatform kind of girl, I like Cubase a lot. I do a range of professional work at the studio, which I opened almost 30 years ago at which time I used mostly analog gear. Soon after opening, I used a DAW from OpCode called Studio Vision. We did most things on the console, but we saw a lot of potential for digital, even back then. Almost 30 years later, I believe a primary goal for any high productivity studio environment is to optimize workflow based on a stable platform. You can get lucky with many different DAW’s which we find is as much about your specific workflow, which varies a lot more than many realize, as it is about the HW and SW platforms. So, assuming that you have done as much as you can to tune your hardware and software combination, it sounds like you are trying to work with Cubase like it is a dedicated platform DAW-- it is not. One of the advantages-- being able to use it on Mac, Win and IOS, is also part of what makes stability a more complex goal. Theoretically this does not have to be the case, but as a commercial software developer who is routinely brought in to get and keep such projects on track, I can tell you that it is. I have consulted on many cross platform from, including complex ones like Adobe Premiere, to hybrid online/offline tools based on communications backends like Wowza and Node.JS-- it is true across all such projects, and it is actually kind of amazing how much better the industry has gotten over the past several decades-- considering how much the use case and feature set requirements have exploded in terms of complexity.
So, I have just two recommendations.
(1) find where the landmines are buried based on the workflow you are trying to employ and learn to avoid them. Period. You may find that they disappear in a future version, but don’t waste too much time trying to figure out a fix or specific cause. Unless it is absolutely critical, we will not waste more than a half hour on such things. Please submit them to Steinberg if you are not already doing that, as that will obviously help you and others make that a reality.
(2) Try to find a way to avoid having to use Cubase for those mission critical types of projects. I know that this may not sound helpful, but I can tell you that I love Cubase and have used it for a LONG time, but you are definitely not alone in having such issues, and if you are doing well with the other DAW’s as we are, don’t expect Cubase to have the same stability for fast, multitasking concurrency, as it sounds like you-- like myself – are used to based on analog and digital boards together with a well-optimized Logic or PT installation.
I completely agree that the goal, and what we have almost always achieved, depending on version upgrades where we have to go back to a prior release, is near zero crashes. I do not agree with that person who mentioned that a crash a week is “good”-- at least not based on my, and it sounds like your needs. We crash or lock-up possibly once every several months at the worst, but with the exception of a few intermediate Cubase releases, we do not try to get Cubase there. I am sure others are able to, but as I mentioned, that appears to be tremendously dependent on the speed and complexity of your workflow and interface interactions with Cubase. That person who said to you to “go slower” is very possibly correct. Some do not realize who fast they are working and how many race and other low-level conditions that they can create by doing so with some platforms. Cubase generally appears to us to be one of those that, at least for us also, does not generally like when you try to do that.