How to achieve sempre più piano?

How do I input sempre più piano, please? WhenI use the dynamics popover, it gives me sempre più p and I cannot discover how to modify this.

David

1 Like

Either input a p dynamic with “sempre più piano” as a suffix, and hide the dynamic, or add it as staff-/system-attached text formatted to look however you want (e.g. using a paragraph style that’s set to be italic).

Dynamics have to include an immediate dynamic, you can’t just enter expressive text on its own into the dynamics popover.

1 Like

Why so complicated?

Why when I copy a hairpin that starts on the second of two tied notes does it attach to the first of the tied notes, and I have to move it?

Dynamics aren’t attached to notes; they’re attached to rhythmic positions. If all that you’re copying is a dynamic, it has no knowledge of its position relative to the previous note.

You can Alt/Opt-click to copy whatever is currently selected to the closest rhythmic grid position to the mouse pointer; the granularity of that depends on the rhythmic grid resolution.

1 Like

Leo,
If I were just copying a dynamic from one bar to another, I would understand this; but I am coyping vertically.
David

Use a shortcut for Duplicate to Staff Below, then. Or Alt-click and ensure the grid is set to something small enough.

OK, thanks! Alt-click works. I think the manual needs to make all this clear.

David

Here’s the page in the manual about general copying/pasting. Are you saying that you read this page but the implications for tied notes (ie that the beginning of the tie chain is the destination position when pasting) was lacking?

1 Like

Thanks – this works.

I was looking for that hiding option, but thrown by the fact that p is referred to as “intensity marking” in the propereties panel! I havent looked to check; but, if it is not, this euphemism needs to be in the glossary of terms. :smiley:

david

Why not give that a go? For a bonus, check out this page.

1 Like

Thanks!

Actually, I dont see the relevance of the second reference. As far as the first is concerned, yes; but I would never have found it without looking through the whole manual… :smiley:

I think this business of alt-clicking needs to be more prominently discussed, as it is the only sensible way of inputting hairpins under the final bar of a long chain of tied notes.

David

I hasten to remind: Not the only way. You can place the caret wherever you want to enter markings.

Embedded in my first link was the search term I used to bring up that page as the top result. No need to read the whole thing.

Yes as Mark says, you can input hairpins from any point and with any duration using the caret. You can also move and lengthen/shorten hairpins however you need.

1 Like

Depending on when that appeared in the manual, I probably read it and, if so, it turned out to be unmemorable. :smiley:

D

Why do you always seem to blame someone other than yourself when you cannot understand something? Dorico is a sophisticated program and requires study to use properly. Sometimes one must try several search terms to find exactly what one wants.

@david-p when you offer feedback or suggestions on how you think the manual could/should be more helpful, provide more information, be more specific etc, it would be very useful if you could include an indication of whether you have actually consulted it recently, and if you can share direct links to pages you’ve looked at but which did not help you, that would be even more helpful (as they clarify which version of the manual you’re looking at, not only where and what pages).

If I’m to consider rewriting topics that have already been translated, and thus they will require retranslation, I need to gauge the baseline; if the relevant topics already provide all necessary information but you have simply not seen them or not found them, then any “fixes” might well not be in the realm of changing the docs themselves but links, metadata, the position of a topic within a chapter etc.

1 Like