How to add a bracketed note with no stem and no duration

I’d like to add a bracketed notehead next to a note, to indicate to performers its enharmonic equivalent for readability. Ideally, there is no stem on it, just a notehead, and it takes no duration in the measure. See below (where I do include a stem) on the eb:

Screen Shot 2023-08-13 at 10.59.40 PM

Here, the music is just 3 quarter notes: low c, low d#, high eb – but the enh. low eb is also shown in brackets.

Any suggestions? I can easily insert this extra note, but then it takes up duration.

Enter the E flat in another voice, bracket its notehead (in Engrave mode) and hide its stem (also in Engrave mode). Maybe also scale it to cue size.
Set the rhythmic grid to a very small value.
Select the E flat notehead and move it to the right until you are happy with its position.
Experiment with moving it a little more to the right until it moves too far away from the D sharp. By that stage, the upper E flat will/should have moved leftwards, closing the gap somewhat.

enh.dorico (506.5 KB)

1 Like

Excellent, thank you! This is exactly what I want.

Any way to avoid the technicality of having a temporary extra voice, with a note tied to a small deviation in grid position? (esp. when I’m trying to do playback)

If not this should still do the trick.

To prevent the note from sounding, select it and in Properties enable Suppress playback.

Great! Can this all be done alternatively with cues, or otherwise, to avoid using ‘real’ notes?

I don’t know, as I’ve never really needed to do anything like this.
You might be able to do it using cues. The best way to find out is to experiment.

To show notes in a cue, they need to be from another layout (which uses ‘real’ notes). A cue just shows what is happening on another instrument at that point in the score.

1 Like

You can input a trill with a diminished second interval, set the trill appearance to be “Auxiliary note”, and hide the trill mark.

4 Likes

Both alternatives, from StevenJones01 and Lillie_Harris, will be useful.