How to add Fx to more than 1 track

I want to set an effect for 2 channels: GT ryth funk + GT ryth funk (D). So I added an Fx track called PAN, and then set this under Send for both GT ryth funk and GT ryth funk (D), as can be seen below:

When I play the song, I only see all tracks coming out of Stereo Out. Nothing runs through the Fx track:

I guess I just need a How To video on adding Fx to more than 1 track. Any suggestions where i can find this?? I saw one already, but am still confused. Sigh.

Hey Robyn, its because the sends are bypassed and disabled as well. You see the little yellow points above the pan sends in both of your guitar tracks? Click on them to enable the sends! They should turn blue.
You also will have to enable each send separately, if you hover the mouse on them,there should appear a on/off button. After clicking on that button, they turn from grey to orange (or blue). This is how it should look:

As for the FX track itself:
If you did not change the routing, it should already be sent to Stereo Out, so you dont need to send it there another time.

2 Likes

thank you so much for a quick response! you made all the difference :wink:

1 Like

Just to complicate things a little for you…
FX sends are traditionally used for effects that you want to blend with the original signal. For example a reverb where you don’t want the signal to be 100% wet/processed/affected. Some effects or processing you want all of the signal to go through the effect. Could be a compressor or an auto pan for instance.
Sends are like additional outputs from a channel. 100% of the signal (after the fader) is routed to the specified output, like Stereo Out for instance. In addition, signal from the channel is also routed to the FX channel via the Send. Therefor, using sends on several channels is not quite the same as placing individual effects in Insert slots.
The difference can easily be demonstrated by placing a Reverb plugin in an Insert slot (make sure the Mix parameter of the reverb is set to 100% if it has one). Now, 100% of the signal goes through the reverb. Next, create a new FX track, drag and drop the reverb plugin from the source channel to a slot on the FX channel and activate a Send on the source channel with 0dB gain. In this case, equal amounts of signal is going from the source channel to its output (as set up in the Routing, typically Stereo Out) and to the FX channel with the reverb on it. Effectively creating a 50% wet/dry signal.
By default the sends are “post fader” which means that if you pull the fader down on the source channel, the amount of signal going out through the Send follows.
In the example of a Send setup with a reverb, this is typically the desired behavior.
But what if we want the signal to be 100% affected by the plugin (no dry signal)? There are a few ways we can achieve that. If the effect only needs to process one channel, the answer is simple—we use an Insert. If we have multiple channels we want to go through a single effect completely we can either use Routing or Sends (yes again!).
By routing the channels we aspire to process to Group channel, we can put the insert effect on the Group channel and route the output of the Group to our Stereo Out. For example:

We can get a similar result using sends in two ways. The first is by setting the Routing output to none and the second is by changing the Send to be Post Fader. This is the signal flow of the first option:

And the second option, using Post Fader Sends would look something like this:
As you can see in the last flow diagram, this is how we would normally set up sends for things like reverb or delay effects. The difference here, is that we set the sends on channel “Guitar A” and “Guitar B” to pre-fader. That means that the send level is not dependent on the volume fader anymore. We can pull the faders of these two tracks all the way down and thus get rid of the dry signal.
Using pre-fader sends to for this purpose might be a bit unorthodox and non-intuitive, but it is an option.
(Pre-fader sends are more commonly used for sending audio out to a headphone monitor system. The recording musicians can then have a headphone mix that is independent of the control room mix.)

Ok, that got a bit long winded!
Tl;dr — For effects where we don’t want to hear the dry/unaffected signal, sends are not the best option. Try routing the channels to a dedicated Group Bus instead.

2 Likes

wow. what a thorough explanation!