How to add reverb to dissolved drum track?

I have a drum track (kick, snare, hi hat) and I want to be able to add reverb to ONLY the kick drum. It seems like the Cubase tutorial lady did this by dissolving the parts, but when I do it it adds reverb to all the drums. Is this possible?

You can dissolve MIDI parts but a mixed drum kit is a little harder…

You can make slices out of it and put the Kick slices on a different track, then route that track to the reverb.

When i dissolve parts each element ex: kik sn hi gets its own channel strip. Add the reverb to that kik strip.

I forgot to mention I’m using Groove Agent one.

djntoxicated: Is that what you are talking about as well? If so, what settings do you use in the dissolve so that each part gets it’s own channel strip?

Groove agent One let´s you assign different outputs for any of the 16 pads, so that you can apply different FX to any of the 16 sounds. No need to dissolve the MIDI parts.

I had battery in mind, but when u hit f11 amd u choose ur drum machine theyre 3 buttons to the left in the vst box that let you open all outputs.

The last one let’s you open outputs.

Sorry I’m such a beginner here, but I’m still not getting it. I want to be able to use the reverb in cubase (Roomworks) with a different setting for each drum sound. I see where I can assign all the outputs, but isn’t that for sending the signal externally? Or is there a way to channel those externally? If so, I’m still missing a few steps on how to do that.

Also: When I dissolve the midi track, I assume I choose “Separate Pitches” and “Optimized Display”, but not “Dissolve to Lanes”?

I did it! Wow thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I will post how I did it next…

(Let me know if I missed a step, and especially let me know if there is an easier way to do this.)

How to Add Reverb to Individual drums in Cubase 6:

1. Press the F11 Key for the VST Instruments window.
  2. Choose Groove Agent One and click on “Create” in the pop up box.
  3. With the VST Instruments window still open, click on the little arrow in a box to the left of the name “Groove Agent ONE” and choose “Activate All Outputs”. Then close the VST Instruments box.
  4. Set up the drums how you basically want them and program your beats.
  5. Click on the Groove Agent ONE midi track.
  6. Click on MIDI (at the top) and choose “Dissolve Part”
  7. Choose “Separate Pitches” and “Optimized Display” only and click “OK”.
  8. We will leave the 1st midi track that was just created that now only has 1 drum sound in the midi as Channel 1.
  9. Go to the Next midi track that was just created and find out what the sound is recorded there.
  10. Open up Groove Agent One and find the pad for that sound and click on it.
  11. Click on the “Play” button, and then turn the “Output ST1” dial until it is on “Output ST2”.
  12. Do the same thing for the next sound, but assign it to “Output ST3”.
  13. Do the same thing for the rest of the sounds, assigning each sound the next incremental number (If you want each sound to have it’s own effects, or you can assign the same number to a group of sounds so they all have the same effects.).
  14. Close the Groove Agent One window and click on “F3”.
  15. Now as you play each sound that you assigned, you should be able to find the channel for each sound, and when you click on the effect “e” it should open the VST Instrument Channel Settings that allows you to add regular audio effects. (If it doesn’t, you are on the wrong channel strip).

When I choose the effects on the channel strip, it turns off Groove Agent one, but if I’m playing the song the sounds keep playing, so I tweek it by doing that.

Sounds like how I’d do it in battery; however, I usually use one shots and no drum machine. If I need to filter I use the thks by sonalksis.

I use battery 3 as well. I was just trying to see if I could do the same with Groove Agent. I’m used to only using the effects in battery 3, especially reverb, but now that I know how to do it in Cubase I’ll probably start using this new method.

As I wrote already, you don´t need to dissolve the MIDI part, as long as a VSTi let´s you assign different outputs for different sounds.

Oh yeah! Cool thanks.