How to adjust gain of a part of audio event with range selection tool (e.g. manual de-essing) - easy way

(0. Select part of audio event with range selection tool)

(“Preferences - Editing - Track Selection Follows Event Selection” must be turned on)

1. Cut (Ctrl/Cmd + X)
  2. Click Object selection (default shortcut: 1)
  3. Paste to origin (Alt + V)

That’s it, just check it)

If you don’t use “Track selection follows event selection” cubase behaviour in your work, you should add this command to toggle it on/off.

To speed up workflow it makes sense to bind command chain to macro.

1. Preferences - Editing - Track Selection Follows Event Selection
  2. Edit - Cut
  3. Tool - Select Tool
  4. Edit - Paste to origin
  5. Preferences - Editing - Track Selection Follows Event Selection

How it works:

1. select part of audio event with range selection tool
  2. use macro shortcut
  3. done!

After executing these commands you get SPLIT and SELECTED audio events (I have tested it only for audio and groups of audio events - works great). Cursor and locators are unchanged. Also you can split events placed in several tracks.

Now you can: mute selected part, use increment/decrement command (from key commands window), crossfade it, use mouse wheel for event volume adjusting (if that option is enabled in preferences) and all of other 13928 things you usually do with selected events)

I googled how to do this split-select thing, but all solutions was about using locators and cursor. I mean commands “Locators to selection” and “Go to left locator”. Also I see working examples of Direct offline processing with Gain function and even Bounce (you can select part of audio event with range selection tool, and next use Audio->Bounce function - and it works as well - I didn’t even know that is possible with range selection tool!).

Commands chain I described above don’t change your locators position and don’t move playback cursor - you even don’t need to stop playback.

The only thing is - it changes track selection and overwrites your clipboard data because of cutting.

In all other ways it’s extremely handy. I use it for manually de-breathing and de-essing vocals.

Hope it helps somebody to decrement clicks count :smiley:
Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 10.07.07.png