How to adjust the entrance of instr. changes?

In the parts layout I have 2 options for instrument transitions positions: immediately after the last note or before the first note of the new instrument. However in parts layout we sometimes want the new instruments to appear in between/e.g. at the beginning of a new system, especially if the number of staff lines varies as shown in the screenshot. How can this be achieved?
instr.change

You can add a notation to the required instrument that prevents an instrument change. A chord symbol region is handy for this, as if there aren’t chord symbols (or the player isn’t set to show them regardless), it doesn’t add anything to the printed/exported notation, but is a category of notation that holds off an instrument change.

1 Like

Thank you to remind me of this - since I don’t use chord symbols I was not aware of their “side-effects”!

1 Like

Just wanted to mention that the chord symbol region workaround will affect the change location in both parts and score. Often it’s desirable to have the score change at the beginning of a system, but the part should still make the change at the entrance. There’s not really a way to do that in Dorico currently. (The “late” change at the entrance option in D5.1 is a huge improvement though!)

1 Like

You are perfectly right - thank you for the hint!

1 Like