how to change guitar fingering position?

I set Engrave/Engrave Options/Fingering/Design/Advanced Options… as shows in the attachment, yet the fingerings still get put above the tops of the notes when I enter them. I don’t know what to do. I think this used to work. What am I missing?

Could it be that you are not using a fretted instrument?

You’re right, rafaelv. I forgot that I’m implementing 7-string guitar as a bass clef instrument, because Dorico as yet does not support that. That is a problem for any guitarist with full knowledge of reading and writing music.

Using treble clef for 7-string guitar reveals why there is such a thing as a bass clef. The lowest note on my 7-string is B1. Other players tune down to A1. I don’t even want to know how many ledger lines those notes take in treble clef let alone try to read them, especially sight-read them.

Does Dorico support a fretted instrument that uses bass clef?

Belay my last. I now double on Bass Balalaika.

You could keep everything in a guitar by using the clef and transposition overrides function.
Bass clef guitar.gif
Your solution with the Bass Balalaika works too, of course.
In both cases one has to edit the strings and tuning, so the lowest notes do not appear as out of range, and the strings indicators and the fingering numbers works as expected.

The six vertical lines each represent a string, from left to right EADGBE. If you are holding your guitar like you are ready to play, the string closest to the top should be the thickest string.This this way change fingering position.