How to change the standard text font

Hello, in Dorico preferences I have set the default font for new projects to „Noto Sans JP“.
Still old projects will use Academico, and also if I import an xml file, the font Academico is being used.
Is there a setting to afterwards change the text font to „Noto Sans“?

You can always go to Engrave mode, Engrave > Font Styles and change the Default Text Font.

LSalgueiro, this is exactly, what I tried and what did not work.
In the mean time I found out, that going to Engrave mode, Engrave > Paragraph Styles and change the Default Text gives the desired result.

Font styles and paragraph styles are different things, as you’ve found: you would actually need to change both ‘Default Text Font’ in Font Styles and ‘Default text’ in Paragraph Styles to be sure that all appropriate items in the score would use the newly-chosen font.

3 Likes

Daniel, if I try to change the default font afterwards, it only seems to work via Paragraph Styles…

As example, if I’d like to see how Title, Composer etc. look with a different font, I have to go via Paragraph Styles

Yes, that’s right. For the avoidance of doubt, things like titles and text in text frames use paragraph styles, and things like tempos, dynamics, etc. use font styles.

1 Like

thank you

Hi, I have a suggestion.

How about list all the fonts selection in one page rather than using the drop down menu? and it is better to show a sample page to illustrate what is referring where in the page.

What’s the proper setting so that all new Shift-X text items are in a new font size?

Shift-x uses the standard paragraph style by default. If you change it’s setting in the paragraph styles, all texts using this paragraph style (old and new) will change in size.

3 Likes

Except in ver. 4 that dialog is in Engrave Mode > Library > Paragraph Styles.

Library is available from any mode. Which is the whole purpose of moving those options out of the Engrave menu.

If I change the two parameters given above, will that change all the frequently-used instances of fonts? I have been asked to use a font other than Academico, and with the many instances of it in the library, I found the prospect rather daunting.

It would be nice to know which styles change and which dont.

David

Changing those two fonts also updates all font/paragraph styles that inherit from them (i.e. other styles whose parent is set to either of those Defaults, or another style who in turn has one of those as its parent) without overrides.

In Font Styles / Paragraph Styles, activated sliders indicate where a particular font/paragraph style deviates from its parent. E.g. if the parent style is Regular but the child style is Italic, changing the parent to Bold won’t affect the child. If the child style isn’t overridden, it will become Bold when the parent does.

So “will it change all other fonts” depends on whether those fonts have overrides; the most important being the font family selection – if that’s not overridden anywhere, in theory all your fonts should update to the new font family chosen for the default styles.

If in doubt, open up a copy of a project and try it out.

Is it possible to create a paragraph style for ONLY shift-x text?
If I change the default text, it changes the text everywhere, and I don’t want that.

Easiest way would be to create a new Paragraph Style, Save As Default (star in the bottom left corner), then assign a new keyboard shortcut to it (Preferences > Key Commands).

You could even unassign Shift-X and Shift-Alt-X from Default Text and reassign them to this new Paragraph Style.

You can create your own paragraph style based on the default text but then change the font, etc. to produce what you need. That can then be the basis for your SHIFT+X text. You can select it within the Text Box or create a shortcut to select it automatically along with the text box.

The alternative would be to create a new Paragraph Style, carefully go through each of the Paragraph Styles that currently have Default Text as their Parent and change their Parent to this new Paragraph Style.

Then you can set Default Text to whatever you like without it affecting any of the other Paragraph Styles.

These ideas are promising. Thank you for the tips!

@Lillie_Harris Would it be possible to add Shift-X text to the list of paragraph styles in the future?