How to close in-place editor

Seems like a daft question, but how do you close the in-place editor once open?

2 Likes

Hi,

Double click to the color (or grey) area (event) below the In-place editor.

2 Likes

Thank you - I’ll try to remember that.

You can also press Enter, or press the Open In-Place Editor key command again (Ctrl+Shift+i)

2 Likes

(Close in place editor) in the midi menu would be nice when someone doesn’t know to double click in the grey area that doesn’t look grey. Its not like theres not enough room in the midi menu.

I had the same question.

1 Like

There are some really weird and unintuitive UI approaches that work to varying degrees.

But I would suggest one rule is that closing a UI element/window/… should never require a “how to” google.

3 Likes

This is not a daft question at all. What is really daft, is the way people design BASIC elements of the software sometimes. Honestly, Cubase is the greatest platform ever but sometimes those who design the interface MUST change their perspective around the notion of what is obvious and what not… or rather, the notion of reason vs absurdity. Come on! Just let the same command close the same window it just opened!

1 Like

Thank you very much!

STEINBERG!!! This question is almost four years old. And I actually had to google how to close the in-place editor today, because I couldn’t find a way in Cubase after a lot of searching. Why do you do something like that? It´s 2021 now!

1 Like

The question was actually answered in the 2nd and 4th posts 3 and a half years ago. :wink:

Thanks for the reply, but you misunderstood my outcry. I am upset that such functions are so hidden and I have to google extra. Then I land here in the forum and find that this problem was already discussed four years ago. I wonder why there is no improvement.
What annoys me the most: the online manual from Steinberg never explains anything properly. In this case here they don’t even explain how to close it again! That would be the least!

1 Like

That might be true in certain cases, but not here. So I can’t really agree with your observation.

A search in the online manual for the title of this topic, How to close in-place editor, reveals an entry for the In-Place Editor, 4th in the list. At the bottom of each page is a link to the next page in the section, and there are only four pages in it. You only have to do this once, and then you know the answer.

okay, my mistake: I looked here and didn’t realize there was another subchapter.

In the German version there are only arrows shown and I couldn’t see that there are more sections. In the English version, at least it says at the bottom what comes next.

1 Like

Ah… that is actually true for the English version of the C9 manual – I sent you to the Cubase Pro 11 manual – which has the same info. Looks like the authors agreed that more precision was needed, and in the newer manual they added the text.

After reading through all of this I’m afraid I was still confused before finally figuring it out. Hopefully the following helps clarify (this is one way of doing it).

• Unlike the other editors, the In Place Editor operates on a single track. Therefore you must add/remove it for EACH INDIVIDUAL TRACK.
  • In the Track Controls there is an icon for doing this, but it must first be displayed. 1) Right click on the track 2) Select: “Track Control Settings…” 3) Add the “Edit In Place” control to the track.
  • This control toggles the In Place Editor. Here is a picture.

Ah, lovely to find this solution and several ways to close it, none that was obvious.
Funny that we still 5yrs after this issue was raised we still have to get on-line to figure it out. Ya ya…

Note to Steinberg make it easy/obvious to zoom in the “in-place editor” and how to close it. Thanks!

I know that this is an old post, but I agree about the manual. It tends to describe a function rather than explain it.

As an additional info: All the editors usually close by pressing ENTER. The same is true for the In-Place Editor. Obviously the track must be selected.

I would just add – that’s the default keystroke Cubase ships with, the command it invokes can be modified in
Key Commands>Editors>Open/Close Editor

If the key command had somehow been modified, the underlying command name is useful.

1 Like