How To Completely Uninstall HALion Dorico Pro V?

I have the latest version of Dorico Pro 5 on Windows 10.

How can I completely uninstall HALion. I have never used this and have tried a number of times to uninstall it.

I have read in earlier posts that HALion can be uninstalled and that the resulting warning of an essential component being unavailable can be dismissed and will not show again.

I also found information in the Dorico online manual on how to uninstall HALion through the Windows Control Panel Programs list and selecting to uninstall. However, HALion is not listed there at all for me.

I also tried launching the HALion installer I originally used to install HALion and selected to uninstall. On completion, the installer showed all components of HALion listed in the left hand side of the window as being uninstalled. However, on launching Dorico, HALion is still active.

So what more do I need to do? Thanks for any help with this.

Have a look at the Windows Control Panel again, HALion Sonic and everything related turns up in the list under the prefix Steinberg. This is for example how it looks like on the computer I’m currently at:

Is there nothing like this on your machine?

Note that HALion describe both a VST Player and a bunch of sample instruments.

The sample instruments (which are the sizeable part) can be removed with the Steinberg Library Manager.

Thanks for replying Ulf.

I’ve double/triple checked my Windows Control Panel list and the HALion Sonic items showing in your list are definitely not in my list. The only Steinberg items listed are:

Steinberg Activation Manager.
Steinberg Dorico 5.
Steinberg General Lower Latency ASIO Driver 64bit.
Steinberg Library Manager.

Just to be sure, I also asked another person here to check.

Also I shutdown my computer completely then after a while I rebooted and launched Dorico 5. The ‘essential playback component missing’ window opened, I clicked ‘Ok’ and the Dorico 5 Hub opened. I selected ‘New’ then added a few instruments. I checked the ‘Play’ tab then the VST and MIDI tab and HALion was there with all instruments loaded although there is no playback sound.

Finally, I uninstalled Dorico and after rebooting again I tried a fresh install with the same result.

Thanks benwiggy.

I did use the Steinberg Library Manager to remove those samples.

Please just provide an all-in-one deinstaller. If there is an installer assistant it should undo things without traces.
The program stack installed by Download Assistant for a Dorico 5 PRO test is just a mess in my eyes. Totally unclear what is really required for which use case.
Afterwards you are lost with a Steinberg cluttered system. For me this seems to be completely unprofessional.
For those who try this software stack on windows I just can recommend. Install a separate Windows into a VHDX (virtual hard disk) and on that system install the steinberg software for testing. When finished with testing remove the complete VHDX. This is the only way to keep a clean system where you can switch back.

I write you tomorrow some paths where you can have a look for HALion files and delete them manually

Here are the paths where HALion Sonic installs or keeps files:
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\HALion Sonic*
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\Shared Components\HALion Sonic*
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Steinberg\HALion Sonic*
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALion
%APPDATA%\Roaming\Steinberg\HALion Sonic*

The asterisk at the end is always a placeholder for any further letters to follow.

Thanks for the info, Ulf. Would you mind providing the same paths for the Mac system? I never use HALion, either, and it does take up a good 10 GB.
I just tried uninstalling HALion using the Steinberg Library Manager and it wouldn’t permit it, displaying the message that I should ‘make the files accessible and that all processes that may use this library are closed’. I don’t understand either of these warnings, as the files are most certainly ‘available’ and nothing from Steinberg is running.

Thanks for that list Ulf.

The C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALion had a HALion folder in it which I removed. The other paths were all clear of any HALion files.

Unfortunately, the problem remains. I also tried clearing my cache and also did a registry check and clean.

Just to confirm, here are two screenshots; the first is the expected ‘missing component’ message I have when launching Dorico 5 and the second is of a new score showing HALion still loading instruments.

Looks like I’ll have to wait for the forthcoming new release, hopefully that may resolve things.

What is the Default Playback Template set to in Application Preferences?

1 Like

From the Dorico menu choose Edit > Preferences and then look for

and there choose a different default playback template.

Hi @Vaughan_Schlepp ,

the most of the 10GB stuff can be found under
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/HALion/VST Sound
some more is under
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound
but in that 2nd location be sure to only wipe out the HALionc VSTSoundbanks. Especially don’t delete the REVerence files, they are definitley usefull.
And of course, in the Applications folder you can clean out the HALion standalone player, i.e. the HALion Sonic.app or HALion Sonic SE.app
Then there is /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST3/Steinberg where you can deleted anything starting with HALion.
And for even more tidying up: ./Library/Preferences/HALion Sonic*

I hope this helps.

Thanks benwiggy. It was indeed set to HSSE.

Thanks Ulf for that screenshot and I have now changed the template.

From reading previous threads I thought that ‘essential component’ warning would not show again after continuing the first time it shows.

I can find no option to not display again. Is there a setting somewhere for this?

Thanks.

I don’t know, sorry. Maybe @dspreadbury knows.

Thanks for all your help Ulf, it’s much appreciated.

@MichaelB, please do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and attach the resulting zip file here, so I can see exactly what Dorico is complaining about.

Thanks for your help Daniel.

I’m pleased to say reinstalling the 5.20 update resolved everything.

Dorico now launches fully without any error warnings.