How to create a single staff for piano

Thanks for those files, Rob. Yes, I see what you mean :slight_smile:

I suspect it’s AATA (All About The Alt).

I did get Ivory playing perfectly as well, thanks.

Got it! Thanks, Leo - so it is necessary to do it for each staff and they each act independently.

And it’s not a way to continue the process without finally entering a value.

Hi Guys, just tacking onto the end of this one. Can someone please tell me why I can right click the lower staff of a piano part and remove the staff in FULL SCORE layout, but it doesn’t work in the piano instrument part layout. The remove staff is NOT grayed out when in instrumental part layout. Perhaps if it isn’t possible to delete in instrument layout, it should be grayed out to avoid confusion?

Try this file
Piano de 1 sitema a2.zip (510 KB)

Can someone please try this and see if they experience the same issue? I have a feeling that once the TS is there, that’s causing the issue…

1. add solo piano to new project
  2. add a time signature (4/4)
  3. switch to Piano layout (top dropdown)
  4. select the bar rest in the lower part and try to remove staff by right clicking.

The “bar rest” in the lower staff isn’t really a bar rest, because it’s a multi-bar rest. For boring technical reasons multi-bar rests don’t behave the same way as individual bar rests. Switch off multi-bar rests or select any other “real” item in the lower staff and it’ll work fine.

one should mention that ‘hiding empty staves’ only works if you don’t have any chords entered at any point of the composition. I have quite some empty staves without multi-bar-rests, without any chord at this point of the composition, I even chose that chords are only shown in chord and slash regions and nevertheless the empty bars are not hidden…that’s a pity, really…or am I doing sth wrong here? that would be great…I can only say: if I remove all chords within the compo, empty staves are shown…

Honestly, it would be cool, to have multi-bar-rests and chord symbols and the full flexibility to hide staves wherever you need it within the piano score…
I have stuff like this and I can’t hide the bass-clef staff even when I don’t use multi-bar-rests, because somewhere later there are some chord symbols…

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-08 um 23.12.11

This is correct if you choose to show chord symbols between the two piano staves, as effectively they’re attached above the bottom staff. You can put your music in the bottom staff and remove the top one, I believe.

I tried everything Leo, chords above the stave,…everything…I can only hide staves when I remove all my chord symbols within the piano score…

Yeah, unfortunately you can’t show chord changes between the staves and still be able to remove empty staves. I believe there was a thread where this was explained as an internal issue relating to how the program stores the chord symbol information, so it’s not trivial to fix. This is very high on my wish list for D5 though! A workaround can be adding a single staff instrument to the player like the Sketch treble or bass, then switch to that. Of course it’s quite tricky to have the layout switch at a system break there in both the score and part, otherwise the score will look odd. Or if you don’t want them removed in the score, you can add another player, copy everything, and have one player included in the score, and another for the part layout.

Yeah, last October I discovered

:slight_smile: yes, working with single staff instruments is always a workaround, but like you said: you have to pay the price for that when it comes to the final layout…

hahaha…wow…that’s a good trick…thanx a lot

I could’ve sworn I already suggested that…

Indeed; I just wanted to post the link to the October thread that Fred remembered, with a more detailed story.

You are right Leo. Sorry. Sometimes things take a little while to find their way from my eyes to my brains…

1 Like