How to create an image file.

I can create a DDP file set for the disc replicator folks from a montage just fine.

I need to create an image file to send to a client so they can click & drag to burn a CD directly in Windows for the purpose of final review.

In this day & time, dropping a CD in the mail for review by a client seems an excess.

I don’t find this terribly straight forward atm. [Edit] I don’t think I am going to find this straight forward.

Any suggestions? This is for a client to review levels, spacing, and whatever else before committing the DDP set to the replication company. The client is 400 miles away.

You can create a CD cue sheet and Image file from the Render dialog. This will create 2 files. This can be burnt with certain other softwares.

I will try this.
Thank you.

This now begs the question: Which software will do this?

What I’m finding is software that will accept a cue sheet and a BIN file, not a WAV file.

This one for sure:
http://www.goldenhawk.com/

Nero did it (still does it?).

Maybe some others (free solutions maybe?).

ImgBurn, also several free applications usually on coverdiscs of PC magazines.
regards

ImgBurn will not use the generated wav file. I tried a few other formats and ImgBurn will not recognize those either. It insists on looking for a BIN file in conjunction with the cue sheet. If you know of a way around this, let me know please.

I just burned a CD-RW with WaveLab & ripped the CD using ImgBurn, then I used WinRar on the result files & uploaded that to private ftp.

That is a lot to go through, but then I don’t have to wait days for turnaround.

This is a few more steps than I want atm but I went with ImgBurn for now because it can be easily installed by clients to burn their own test CD’s.

If ImgBurn ends up being used here as a staple, I will be forwarding some cash to the author. It appears to be a pretty nice utility, and one that is dead simple EASY for clients to use. That last part is super essential.

PG: any chance of a BIN export?

PG: any chance of a BIN export?

In 7.2, it will be possible to render CD cue sheet with an audio file in BINARY format (WAV format was the only option before). For this, from the Montage render dialog, you will have to select the file format

• Raw PCM file (little endian)
  • the file extension “bin”
  • 16 bit as sample resolution

You could make this manually now, with one additional step:

• Render a normal CD cue sheet with the file format described above
  • In the .cue file, change “WAVE” for “BINARY” (use Note pad)

Important: don’t use the option render “Open as New Montage”, because with the above specific settings, this will lead to a crash. Not in next version, of course.

Thank you!

Renaming the wav file extension to .bin (also making sure I’ve selected the 16 bit PCM little endian export to start with), and also changing the extension and file type in the cue sheet worked fine.

Thank you again for this information. This is so much easier and quicker than the workaround I had done.

img burn works fine for me with cue / wav …

I just tried it again, and it does work.

What went wrong was that I did not specify what type of wav file to create, assuming the output would match the input files in this particular case. Oops. :blush: I do know better, it was just a brain phart moment.

I mostly use WaveLab to assemble the final output and burn test CD’s. The original files are already rendered in the target format regarding sample rate and bit depth.

When I specifically set the output to match the input files settings, which would be 44.1K @ 16 bits, it does indeed work fine.

Thank you both.

I don’t know if this is a bug or not, but it seemed reasonable to me to leave the bit resolution for the output file format at “Match Source File”. This did not work. For the montage, I’ve had to specifically set the target bit resolution.

I know I can have my moments (aka brain phart mentioned above), but the settings in this context as I saw it seem incorrect or misleading. The output bit resolution did not follow the source file resolutions (although I do understand about the 32 bit floating point processing in between, which I did not really make use of).

All files were already set to the target format before assembling the montage.

As a precaution I am now manually setting these items instead of allowing the defaults to be “same as the source”.

I don’t know if this is a bug or not, but it seemed reasonable to me to leave the bit resolution for the output file format at “Match Source File”. This did not work. For the montage, I’ve had to specifically set the target bit resolution.

The bit resolution of the Audio Montage (the source), is not 16 bit. This is why you have to specify 16 bit explicitly if you want 16 bit for your wav file.

Philippe