How to decrease number of crashes?

I’d really, really love to reduce the number of crashes I experience in Cubase, and would love some general guidance.

I run large orchestral templates, with about 100 active Kontakt and PLAY instances. My session files are usually around 80-100mb (something to do with saving a bunch of data for Kontakt instruments). Because of this, auto-saves take a WHILE to complete - the session usually locks for about 10 seconds with a beach ball. It’s ALWAYS annoying and workflow killing, and makes me not want to have an auto-save interval less than 10 minutes.

During an 8-10 hour work day, I’ll usually experience 3-5 crashes. Some occur randomly; many seem to occur right at the 10 minute autosave interval.

I know this sounds dramatic, but these crashes have huge impacts on my flow and positivity. Working in film and tv is immensely stressful already, and these crashes add a lot more stress to may day to day. The behavior has been pretty consistent across all the macintosh computers I’ve used Cubase on - my laptop, my Mac Pro, and now my brand new Mac Mini.

Does anyone have any tips for 1.) How to minimize auto-save times, and 2.) how to increase stability in Kontakt / Play heavy sessions?

Do your crash logs point to anything? If I just use Cubase and nothing else, I don’t have any crashes, but using tons of 3rd party VST instruments and plug-ins makes any system more crash prone.

Perhaps you have already tried (received) this suggestion, but I think you will get a better handle of your very populated virtual instruments template from vienna ensemble pro server instances. Differences?: 1/ a very significative short time when you save your Cubase project; 2/ in the case you experience a crash cubase project you won’t need to reload all instruments libraries; 3/ you can distribute RAM/processor load over an ethernet net of several server computers.
I have a personal opinion about Kontakt instances on macOS: much better in AU format than in VST format. Have you any AU format compatible DAW (Logic, DP, SO…)? take a test and see the differences
If you workflow is based on load all VSTi within one DAW-one computer I think the combo Cubase&Mac wouldn’t be the best choice. Have a look in other forums and opinions but I think you’ll get best performance with a Cubase&PC or Logic/DP&Mac

If you workflow is based on load all VSTi within one DAW-one computer I think the combo Cubase&Mac wouldn’t be the best choice. Have a look in other forums and opinions but I think you’ll get best performance with a Cubase&PC or Logic/DP&Mac

I agree Mac is not optimal but I need it for working as a professional in Los Angeles. And yes, I decided to move from VEPro to an all VSTi template within Cubase a few years ago because the workflow improvements seemed to vastly outweigh the downsides.

It’s really frustrating that this save time issue is the only major impediment to being VEPro-free.

One thing I still don’t understand is why save times are instantaneous when instruments are de-activated. It’s not as if there’s less data to store; I can have a massive 1000 track template, with a file size of several hundred megabytes. It’s the same size on disk whether the tracks are activated or de-activated, and indeed I could have tons of data written on those tracks. For whatever reason, Cubase is doing something when those tracks are active that it’s not doing when they’re deactivated, totally independent of the data that’s on those tracks.

And yes, I’ve tried this approach in Logic. Logic doesn’t have the problem. VEPro doesn’t have the problem either.

Thanks for the tip. I recently went through my plugin manager and deactivated all the plugins I don’t need, just to un-tempt myself to using them.

I haven’t really gone through the crash logs…any tips on what to look for? They’re quite long.

Perhaps downgrade to CBP 9.5 for the time being, I think this version is still quite buggy…

:cry: Very stranger things: few months later C-10 release and once again perhaps we must downgrade to previous version because this last update is “little” buggy.

Yeah it’s frustrating, but if your job depends on this stuff you shouldn’t rush to upgrade. All of the composers who post tutorials on Youtube seem to still be using 9.5.4…