How to detect audio-dropouts in tracks

I am currently remastering a couple of old tracks. Some of the old premasters (imported from CD) have dropouts with approx. 10ms of silence.
Is there a way to analyze the tracks with the “error detection and correction” function of Wavelab?
What else can I do to find these kind of dropouts automatically?

cheers,
Michael

Is there a way to analyze the tracks with the “error detection and correction” function of Wavelab?

Yes, but you have to experiment with the settings.

What else can I do to find these kind of dropouts automatically?

If there are not so many dropouts, simply switch to Spectrogram view, and they will appear obviously.

I’ve found that the Global Analysis works really well for this. I found quite a few 5ms mutes that way.
Open Global Analysis. Go to the Error tab. Set Max Number to 100. Checkmark next to Glitches, Threshold to 99, Sensitivity to 99. Then click Analyze. Under Glitches, it should find your 10ms dropouts. Click the Points button next to Result, then at the bottom, Create Markers, and Focus.

Wow, thank you Bob99! Works perfectly.

Glad it worked. You can also do it in Error Detection and Correction, but it’s a bit slower, and in the case of finding Mutes/Dropouts like this, I would also set the Threshold and Sensitivity to high numbers like 99 or 100 (less sensitive), to reduce the number of “false positives” in the results. Even with those less sensitive settings, it should find all of your mutes.

EDIT: This doesn’t work (Error Detection and Correction) for finding dropouts (any dropouts I’ve tried anyway). Use Global Analysis Glitch instead. (see post below).

Also remember to set Max Number to something greater than the default 10. Set that to something like 100 or 200. If you leave it at the default 10, it’ll only find the first 10 problems.

Sorry to quote myself, but after having just tried this again, I take it back. Error Detection and Correction can’t find digital dropouts using any settings I’ve just tried. But I do think it’s good for finding clicks.
For digital dropouts, I’d stick to Glitch on the Error tab in Global Analysis. That’s always worked for me.