How to Display Guitar Tuning? Or Insert a Special Character for string number in text.

Hello To All,

I am trying to display a drop tuning for guitar at the beginning of the music. What is the best way to go about doing this where I can display circled string numbers?

Thank You,
CW

Shift-P for playing techniques.

Also “string 1, 2, 3…”

Hey Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

This technique I am aware of, but what I am looking for is something more like (circled) 6=D, to make the player aware to retune their guitar. And how to do so for multiple strings.

CW

Hey Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

This technique I am aware of, but what I am looking for is something more like (circled) 6=D, to make the player aware to retune their guitar. And how to do so for multiple strings.

CW

For your first request, I don’t think Dorico can do that natively. I made the following file using the Coda with no gap trick. Is that what you’re looking for?
Guitar with tuning.zip (525 KB)

Hey Craig F,

Thank you for your reply. What I am looking to do is this.

Thank You,
CW
Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 3.20.22 PM.png

Ah I see. In this case, I would edit the Master Page and add a graphic frame to put the tuning info in. Then import a graphic file to show this.

There is no set way to do this. I added some string indications, dragged them to the left, and added text. The attached is what you mean, I think; I suspect from your post you may have to do something a little more involved, if you have multiple re-tuned strings. The process is the same, just more things to move around. But, do it at the last thing, when all the other elements of the layout are complete; if you move one thing, they’ll all shift around.
Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 3.21.17 PM.png

Thank you for your help, Craig F & R Pearl. As I am on Elements I think this might be a little harder, as well; if even possible. Perhaps just naming the Letters for now until there is a more straightforward way. I would have thought inserting special characters by way of the Text Popover would have been the way.

CW

You can certainly do that. Guitar · Standard Music Font Layout

Copy and paste in the glyphs you want. Make sure your font is set to Bravura Text.

Dan,

Thank You! This is exactly what I was looking for.

CW

This would be a great feature in a future release to be able to somehow natively see the tuning, with additional capo reference as well!

1 Like

Has this been updated on 4.2? I know a capo feature was added but is there a way to show string tuning and capo position at the beginning of a piece?

This would be a nice feature to have.