How to get around a midi controller that only uses Midi 1

Hi,

In attempt to get away from importing midi data and editing it, since I compose in Finale, I thought of using my Yamaha Portable Grand DGX-640. Unfortunately, there are 2 problems: 1, Cubase does not register that I even have it plugged in. 2, It only is capable of sending midi data out through channel 1. Any workarounds? I may have to bight the bullet and get a dedicated 88 key controller. However, I do not have the budget for either a Rolland88 or AkaiMPK88.

What’s the problem being generated by the keyboard only sending on MIDI channel 1? You can re-channelise the data it’s outputting in the inspector if you need to, or you can use the input transformer to permanently alter it (so it’s recorded as a different channel in the file itself).

I think we’d need to see the actual problem that’s being caused before being able to give you some help, but I don’t think it would be insurmountable - there are usually many ways to skin a MIDI-shaped cat.

As far as it bot being recognised by Cubase, again, we’d need more detail - how are you connecting it, what do you mean by “not recognised” (does it not appear as an input in Cubase, does it not work at all, is it named wrongly? can you not control the patches in a manner you’d like?)

… and are you switching it on after you have launched Cubase?

1- I am connecting my keyboard via usb.

2- It is not appearing as an input in Cubase and does not work. However, it does work when I use my samplers in standalone mode. All drivers are up to date.

3- I have always had the keyboard on before loading any programs, although I have tried turning it on afterwards to see if it would show up as a device in Cubase.

OK, does the device appear correctly in device manager? Have you installed the drivers for it (a quick search looks as if you need to install them for it to work).

If it doesn’t appear in Cubase as an input, i would venture that the drivers aren’t installed, or there’s another problem. Do you have to turn MIDI on on the keyboard in question? (Some Yamahas, IIRC, need to have that turned on before they act as a MIDI keyboard - I seem to remember a client’s Clavinova having such a setting).

You’ll definitely need to have it turned on and set up correctly before starting Cubase, as Vic intimated - without then it definitely won’t work.

Is it visible in something like MIDI-OX?

Does your keyboard have a midi out. If so why not use that?
Sorry - upon looking at the manual it appears there is no midi out.

Note the part about the midi drivers included in the CD!

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=194374

http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?language=en&site=asia.yamaha.com&category_id=16277&product_id=1056822

Oh and you have to have the keyboard turned on before starting up Cubase. The USB midi is registered by Cubase on the first part of the start up.

I use a small program called MidiTrix to test that USB midi devices are working. Or you can also use MidiOx but this is a bit more complex. Simply put, MidiTrix displays all the midi devices that are available, if it’s not in the list then there’s a device problem. If it’s in the list then you can route it to somewhere/anywhere, play something and it will light up green so you know it works. The main reason for using MidiTrix is that it starts up quicker than Cubase so you can trouble-shoot quicker!

Mike.

I believe in my original post I included that all the drivers were in fact up to date. Additionally, it works in my stand alone samplers, just not Cubase.

Well I still can’t see the info about your midi drivers being updated! I am assuming that you have tried the midi input selection slot in the inspector on a relevant midi channel to see if it is listed. It is obvious that for some reason Cubase is not seeing these midi drivers. Other than a reinstall of the drivers I am not sure what to suggest.