How to get my stored preferences/key commands from 5 to 6?

I have updated to version 6 of Cubase, but my stored preferences and key commands from Cubase 5 are not imported. I can not find a way to import the preferences into version 6, and the same about the key commands.
I have googled and searched this, but can not get them transferred. I have found the hidden files but can not find anything about any stored preferances. Please help…

In the knowledge base it says this:

Preferences are found here: PC Windows Vista and Windows 7
“System drive \Users< your username>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg[Application]”

Well…i cant find any such thing as a folder called application or preferences. I get folders called Panels, Presets, Project Templates, Scripts and then various XML-documents…

Custom made Key commands from cubase5can be found in System drive \Users< your username>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\cubase5\presets\Key commands

the preference key commands is in System drive \Users< your username>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\cubase5

its there, just look closer what the names of the xml files are :wink:

found the file but I cant get C6 to recognize it (key commands) - please help

for mac?

“/Users//Library/Preferences/Cubase 6”

Thanks Steve I am away from DAW computer at the moment but your solution looks like a MAC file path.
(I am a cross platform user but at the moment I am focused on getting my PC set up)

I launched cubase 5
opened keycommands and saved a preset called my key commands. closed it.

When I opened cubase 6 and tried to load the preset the first problem was that no presets where available in the drop down menu (like sonar key commands, cubase classic, protools, etc)

I followed the file path noted above

System drive \Users< your username>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\cubase5\presets\Key commands

I found the file but it has a different file extension and I could not get C6 to load it.

any suggestions would be appreciated

Hm. Sorry.

Have you tried simply copying the key commands xml file from the cubase 5 folder to cubase 6 folder?

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM.

C6 x64 doesnt even have the standard presets (Sonar, classic, etc) in the drop-down menu and when I try to “load” a preset it will only let me load a .key file. I’ve found the correct presets but they’re all .xml. What’s up with this .key vs .xml discrepancy?

And I also don’t have this folder: “System drive \Users< your username>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg[Application]” unless its buried in some hidden folder but its not showing up in searches.

Im on W7 64 bit if that matters.

THX!

IIRC Cubase only loads those xml files if you put them at the correct location first.
So save them from C5 under a name you can search for and copy them to the same folder in the C6 pref folder.
Next you should be able to load them in C6

Lol forget it…

My C6 x32 works great…but x64 I still cant see any of those .xml’s so no matter what I drag/copy into those folders, they never show up.

I just redid all of my key commands manually last nite…it wasn’t as bad as I thought and, in fact, made a few tweaks for the better!

THX though!

Not on 64bit yet.
So how does C6 64 save those prefs and KC’s?

It saves ur KC’s just fine…and then loads them up with no problems.

What’s weird…and it seems funkstone sees this too, is that there are NO presets in the drop down menu by default! When u first install it, that menu is just BLANK…well I think there’s like a - or something. It only starts to populate with your own saved KCs.

So right now mine only has 2…one that I made as a test called weird and my custom one I made last nite called JML C6. It’s not a huge deal as I would never use any of the other presets anyways.

I still don’t know the point of the load function as it keeps wanting .key files…and key commands are saved as .xml.

So they are xml files as well, but probably use another location?

Yeah I’m assuming they’re .xml.

I never did find where C5 or C6 stores the custom presets (on PC)…x32 OR x64. Only the default presets. :open_mouth:

Well, I’m still on XP and there for KC’s the location for defaults and my own saved set is the same:
\Documents and Settings$username\Application Data\Steinberg\Cubase 6\Presets\KeyCommands\

So if you’d search your file system for JML C6.xml you would find where x64 saves them…

If I have made changes to the defaults but haven’t saved them yet, which file is it?

My computer’s toast and I’m trying to salvage all cubase prefs and mostly shortcuts/fx chains/templates/etc. I didnt save my last keyboard shortcuts so Ihope there’s a default file.

Maybe see which .xml file was “last modified” in the same folder as the default key commands file?

I haven’t had to do this for awhile…and ur resurrecting a 5yr old thread :wink:

Why not just get the whole cubase preferences folder?

I have retained it, but the question is since I didn’t save my settings will they still be retained if I just copy over the whole folder?