how to hide a note ?

I want to hide a note and the manual p 95 says that in the properties panel common section there’s an option to hide everything - but I can’t find it ?
I see position, offset and color but not a hide option ?
Mads

1 Like

Choose color, there you will find an opacity cursor, you put it to 0 (zero). Then, to make sure it keeps hidden, in print mode you must remain in colour mode and check that in Annotations (right panel down), view options is checked.

[edit] The manual I just downloaded 30 min ago does not have any information about hiding on p.95. Maybe you could check and download the latest manual — though I am not sure you will find more info on that subject

Thank’s Marc - at least there’s a workaround.
In Dorico Operation Manual I have this on page 95:
Hidden
If you activate this option, you can hide a selected item in the score. You can
display a signpost for the hidden item by selecting View > Signposts and
activating the appropriate option.

1 Like

Yes, I found it, it is the former version of operating manual. Actually it does not apply to notes, but to anything related to notes (accidentals, accents and so on…) I guess you’ll have to use the “hiding rest” workaround to make notes disappear :wink:

1 Like

How does one tell the manuals apart? Is there a date-stamp anywhere on the file itself?

1 Like

One is dorico_v1_en-pdf and the other one (older…) is
Dorico Operation_Manual_en.pdf.

Is there any way I can make the notes transparent on Windows?

select the note(s), open the properties panel and set Custom Scale to 0 (resets to 1) … ?

Or in the properties panel, change the alpha channel to 0 (in color property — it’s opacity for mac)

The problem with either of the methods described by fratveno & Marc is that once done there is no signpost indicating that there is a hidden element.

If you use these techniques (as I have on occasion) you’ll likely want to keep a separate record of what objects you have made transparent. Having a really good memory is a legitimate method - but not one that I would rely on. . . :slight_smile:

If you set the alpha channel to 0, you can see the notes if they are selected. A will select everything, or do a marquee selection for a section and you will see the notes.

… you will also see your hidden objects once you print them or save them as pdf - if you forget to choose “colour” in the print dialogue…
In other words: if you choose “mono” all your hidden objects will be visible in the printout.
That is not very obvious, so one should check the file - for example before sending it out to a customer…

You will see the hidden objects if they are selected - but there is nothing to indicate which objects are actually hidden. So this technique is only useful if you more or less know where the hidden objects are situated in your score. There is no way to search / filter for hidden objects.

This is one of the rare areas where I respectfully disagree with the Dorico design philosophy of only implementing actions that perform semantically meaningful musical events. Allowing selective display/hide of any object (with an appropriate signpost) is a feature that has been discussed and requested many times on this forum. . . . .

Thank you!! I knew it’s there!

In Write mode, setting opacity to zero for a rest does hide the rest, but not any augmentation dot that may be with it.

I hope the Hidden propriety will be fully implemented in Write mode. Having blank spaces, instead of visible notes, is an idiomatic part of my writing (and is of use for any type of contemporary proportional notation).

Paolo

Paolo, unless you’re on a percussion stave you can hide rests anyway…

Pianoleo, are you referring to the Edit > Remove Rests command?

Paolo

Yes. It works on primary rests as long as you explicitly enter the rests with Force Duration, and then use Edit > Remove Rests.

Well, I think it can do what I want. And – much better! – do it in batch, instead than for a single rest!

Paolo

Just playing devils advocate, the only good reason to hide things would seem to be to work round another limitation in the software.

If the purpose of the score is for computer playback, the computer doesn’t care whether things are hidden or not. You can create an extra staff for an instrument if you can’t see what you are doing with everything on one staff.

And if the purpose is for human playback, the humans can’t see the hidden objects anyway!

In any case, displaying things in a “100% transparent colour” isn’t really “hiding” them - it’s just a side effect of the general color and transparency setting option. For things that really are optional to show in the score (like rests with multiple voices on a staff) there is a proper “hide” option already.