How to import MusicXML file without creating a new Cubase project?

I have developed a template in Cubase using VEPro. With the template open, I simply want to import a MusicXML file created in Dorico into the project. However, doing so (a) opens a new project and (b) removes the VSTi Rack VEPro instruments.

How can I simply get the MusicXML to import without these unwanted results? If it is going to force me to create a new project each time, how then can I possibly use my template?

If this is unclear, let me know and I’ll make a brief video showing the problem.

1 Like

From which project? In the new project created there are no instruments.

Anyway, You can copy the midi parts in the new project into your template project.

Steve, thanks for the tip about copying MIDI from one project to the other. My remaining issue, which I’ve just now solved, was that importing a MusicXML file into an existing project creates a new project but, to my surprise, simultaneously removes the VST instruments from the original project. These VST instruments are connected to VEPro, so losing them is unexpected and a little maddening to a newby like me.

In case it’s helpful, I show what I mean in this brief video.

After making this video, through experimentation I just now worked out these steps as a workaround. Here’s what I did:

1. Open VEPro and launch template.
  2. Open Cubase.and launch the project (template that is associated with the VEPro instance).
  3. In Cubase, import the file (via File > Import > MusicXML).
  4. Save the new project.
  5. Close the new project and, because the original project has lost its VST instruments in Rack, close it, too without saving.
  6. Repeat Step 2 to relaunch the original project (with the template).
  7. In Cubase, import the desired tracks from the new project that we saved in Step 4 (File > Import > Tracks from Project).

Any tips on how to do this better will be gratefully received.

What’s happening is that the VEPro template project is deactivated when you create the new project, since only one project can be active at a time.

What happens if you hit the Activate button?

Okay, this now makes perfect sense. Here’s what I need to do, then:

1. Open VEPro and launch template instance.
  2. Open Cubase and launch the project (template that is associated with the VEPro instance).
  3. In Cubase, import the file (via File > Import > MusicXML). Then, save the new project and close it.
  4. In the original Cubase project, reactivate it (per the screenshot). The VSTi’s will reload in the racks.
  5. Import the desired tracks from the new project that we saved in Step 3 (File > Import > Tracks from Project).

Very cool. Steve, thanks for your help.

It’s not really necessary to do all that. You can streamline the process

1. Import Musicxml file (a new project is created)
  2. Copy all midi parts
  3. Open Template, say yes to Activate
  4. Paste

Makes sense! Thanks. :slight_smile: