How to inhibit display of keyswitch text in Score Editor?

I’m using an Expression Map with a bunch of Key-switches setup as different text articulations. When I open the part in the Score Editor I see the articulation text each time it is used. Is there anyway to hide this text since it has no real meaning in the score (they are just changing vowel sounds on a VSTi)? I realize I can select each bit of the text and hide it using the score menu, but that would become tedious busy-work real fast. I’m hoping there is something akin to “Hide Pedal Markers” in Score Settings - but I can’t find anything.

Another marginally related question (in violation of my own personal code for making properly descriptive subject lines) :blush:

When creating an expression map I accidentally left some set to Attribute instead of Direction. Later I tried to delete those articulation instances in the Key editor. But every time I deleted the articulation the note it was attached to also go deleted. I got out of it by reverting on my project. But for the future I’m curious how to remove the association between an Attribute Articulation and a note.

The best I can think of is to Color Expression Map events, in Preferences>Scores>“Colors for Additional Meanings”, and set it to white (not ideal, if you are using one of the “patterned” paper styles, but certainly less obtrusive :wink: )

When creating an expression map I accidentally left some set to Attribute instead of Direction. Later I tried to delete those articulation instances in the Key editor. But every time I deleted the articulation the note it was attached to also go deleted. I got out of it by reverting on my project. But for the future I’m curious how to remove the association between an Attribute Articulation and a note.

Strangely enough, instead of using the Eraser tool (which, as you have noticed, deletes the note along with the Attribute), just click a 2nd time on the Attribute, using the Pencil tool again.)

Wow, that’s counter-intuitive. I’d have never bumbled into that on my own.

Good work-around idea about the color.

I did figure out a way to make it easier to select and hide the the articulations.

1. Open the part(s) in the List Editor
  2. Click the “hide” boxes for notes, controllers, etc. as needed so you only see the Score items.
  3. Select the entire list and then ctrl-click to remove any items such as clefs from the selection so just the articulations are selected.
  4. Open the part(s) in the Score Editor not in Page Mode set the resolution small so you see most or all of the score.
  5. From the Score menu click on Hide/Unhide.
  6. The reason to set the resolution small and not be in page mode is that even though all the articulation events are selected, only the ones visible in the Score Editor will be hidden - so you want to see as much of it as possible.
  7. Scroll down in the Score editor as needed to see the rest of the part and repeat step 5 (look out for unhiding what you just hid).

The ultra simple and in hindsight obvious solution finally occurred to me. :astonished:

I just created a bunch of midi tracks that are not connected to any instrument and made a copy of all the midi parts on them before adding any key-switch articulations. Then move them all to a folder named “For Score” and use them to create the score. Then on the original tracks I can add anything I want without considering how it will effect the score.

1 Like