How to italicize all fingerings?

How can we select all current fingerings in a score (with several flows) and italicize them? I’m afraid the instructions on this page don’t seem to work:

It seems impossible to filter fingerings, yet this is evidently exactly what Engrave mode would require. I tried selecting everything and filtering all notes in Write mode, then going to Engrave mode, and while the Fingering and Positions panel appears, it’s inexplicably missing the italics option.

Do we really have to select each and every fingering one by one? Note that this is a larger score with many fingerings by the composer, to which I’ll add my own fingerings. Simply changing the fingering style to italics will not solve the problem.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Update: It appears that we literally have to click on every… single… finger… number… one… by… one. Even in chords, we need to select each and every fingering separately. Steinberg developers, if you’re listening, please make this process easier. This should be achievable in just a few clicks. The current process is pure torture.

You can go to Engrave/Font Styles/Fingering Font and activate Italic if you want to make a global change.

There appears to be a weird bug when using cmd-drag to try to select multiple fingerings. Even if nothing besides fingerings gets captured, no groups appear in the Properties panel at all.

Checking this bug in detail reveals the trigger: If a fingering attached to a grace note is selected along with fingerings attached to regular notes, the Properties panel is suddenly empty—even though only fingerings are selected.

No, I specifically don’t want to make a global change for the reason mentioned in my initial post: Composer fingerings need to be distinguished from editorial fingerings. There needs to be a way to filter for fingerings in Engrave mode.

The instructions you linked to absolutely do work. They very specifically say “In Engrave mode, select the fingerings you want to show in italics”. Unfortunately for you, that is not the same thing as “In Write mode, filter a bunch of notes”.

It does seem that you have to have the fingerings, and just the fingerings, for the Italic property to be visible in the properties panel (and I don’t understand why). Rather than “literally clicking every single finger one by one”, I’d draw a marquee selection reasonably carefully around a bunch of fingerings, then use Cmd/Ctrl to manually deselect any other items that get picked up along the way, then set the Italic property for said bunch of fingerings. Still slow but nowhere near as slow.

Yeah, that’s what I ended up doing, but honestly I don’t think it was any faster than clicking one fingering at a time. It’s easy for stems, beams, notepads, etc. to get picked up too, and these unwanted elements force the fingering panel to be hidden.

We really do need a way to filter for all fingerings in Engrave mode.

Too late now I suppose, but if the balance between composer and editorial fingerings is heavily skewed one way or the other, you could use fingerings for whichever amount is larger, and create playing techniques for the other. The playing techniques can quickly be Alt-clicked wherever needed. Of course if you have a lot of chord fingerings that might be too time consuming to set up as playing techniques, but single fingerings could be set up quickly.

That’s a good idea for a workaround—thanks. For my purpose, though, I really do need a native solution since I’ll need to export fingerings as fingerings. rather than another element that merely looks like fingerings. (I’ve run into this problem in the past with other music notation software. Importing into any other program causes the workarounds to no longer work.)

Anyway, hopefully Steinberg is listening and will create a “Select all fingerings” or fingering filter in Write mode.

I’m sorry that this has been a tedious thing for you to resolve manually. We don’t have any plans to add filters in Engrave mode, but I do appreciate that you need a better way to select lots of fingerings. I’ll think about how we might best be able to accommodate this in future.

1 Like