How to learn audio engineering the right way using Cubase AL

Hi,
I am totally newbie to the audio world.
To be short, I’m very interested in Audio and would like to learn the right way.
I will be only in vocals and no music as I am only will be doing podcast, voice over, audio book, video narration or screen casting (just one person all the time).
I know that many may tell go through YouTube or regular goggling search … which I did tried so far and found it like hit and run without understanding any solid basics.
The main reason that leads me to think in such a way was the charge or fees I’ve to be paid to an audio engineer to treat or finish some recorded files for me which was beyond my abilities to pay (I do understand that any audio engineer deserves what he/she asking for but it was me who was not have enough money to pay :blush: ).
So I thought as long as I am interested and because it will not be something for few days, so why not to learn it the right way at least to finish what I want to achieve for my self.
Here in my local area there is no professional audio school so all I have is the internet, so please take that into consideration.
Also the reason for choosing cubase was not anything except that it was the software associated with my Yamaha AG06 compact mixer and interface.
I do understand that Pro Tools is famous world wide but I am not into the silly war flame for which software is better because: 1) I am not the one to judge such a thing as I am newbie. 2) I do not even know what may be the right differences even if you tell me in details due to my ignorance. So please understand the reason for choosing the cubase AL 8 in my title :unamused: .

Note: please do me a favor and if you find my point of view needs to be adjusted or corrected feel free to recommend and suggest how it should be considered.
Thanks

Welcome Mohamed!
I don’t think anyone will question your decision to go with Cubase on a Steinberg forum :wink:

I don’t have a lot of other input for you unfortunately. I personally got into Cubase and recording through my music teacher years ago who helped me with the basics.
In your case there are 2 things you need to learn, for which you’ll probably need separate sources.

1. working with Cubase
  2. basic techniques for processing your type of projects

I expect 1 will be relatively easy because your projects aren’t very complex. Topics that might be of interest:
a. basic setup (get your audio in and output working, understanding where your files go etc.)
b. basic recording/importing sounds (so you have some audio to work with :slight_smile:)
c. audio processing (How you apply EQ, dynamics processing and reverb the ‘right’ way)
d. comping (maybe, for efficiently combining multiple takes)

I think a, b and c will be covered in a quick start guide, so that seems like a sensible place to start.
As for 2, I can’t really help you there, because I never did any tutorials on spoken word processing.
I imagine it’s partly similar to how you would treat a lead vocal so that might help you finding some good sources of information. The 3 effects I mentioned at c are the ones you’ll use most I imagine.

If you have more specific questions about how to set up things or how to achieve certain effects then by all means try asking here, there are plenty of knowledgable people around :slight_smile:

Good luck!