How To Link Timeline and Edit Selection

Forgive me if this is a rehash or if I have overlooked the obvious. I’ve tried to do my due diligence, but haven’t found a solution.

Is there a way to have the timeline follow your edit selection in 8.5?

This question probably makes most sense for those familiar with protools, which has an easy toggle tab on the dash for this function. I’d love to find a way to do this in Cubase without having to add a step or two, or choose a different tool - just click on a point in the audio and hit space bar to play from there - as it really sped editing in my experience.

I’m migrating from Protools, and minus a few key features, I’m incredibly happy with Cubase. I feel it’s a few editing conveniences away from blowing PT out of the water and such better customer service.

Thanks for your help,
z

Hi,

There is the L KeyCommand: Locate Selection. The playback cursor jumps to the start of your current Selection. There is also Play from Selection Start function, which doesn’t have a KeyCommand assigned by default. You can assign your own KeyCommand.

I hope this helps.

That’s great. I think between those two, I’m in business. Many thanks.

I have spent endless hours trying to make cubase transport behave like protools Ableton and logic. I just gave up. I hardly use it now. its like all over the place you can’t get a hold of it. funny something so simple can be so maddening . I spent more time on this than learning how to run cubase. Return to selection on play please. Return to selection on stop is terrible you half way through the song you hear something you hit stop and it zooms back to the selection . bla bla bla enough.

2 Likes

OK So now its 2023 I just spent 170 dollars to upgrade to cubase pro 13. I heard there were new transport functions. Alas the new transport option’s still can’t duplicate the transport functions in Protools Ableton or logic. You really want to make it as hard as possible to migrate from other daws to cubase don’t you. What ever.

How about reading the manual? Why on earth is cursor returning to start if you don’t want it to?

spent more time on this than any other thing in cubase. Spent way too many hours . spoke to 2 different tech support people to no avail. They say it cannot done . Hours making macros. They have return to start on stop. I want to return to start on start. Simple same as protools Ableton and logic.

I just came here to figure out the same thing (I think) “Use Video Follow Edit Mode” fixed the issue I was having.

1 Like

Mr Griggs suggestion is good, it’s not quite the same but a good step . Nuendo and Cubase are power houses, but you are correct ,the transport and timeline are not as intuitive on the controls, IMO. If you have been doing this for a while you’ll notice, generally, that an operator can move from PT, to RPR, to Abltn, DVNCIRSLVE, the drive is similar, you get here and the wheel’s on the other side and the handle is on the bottom, it works, but… I have to give more effort to driving than the drive. But it’s good if you can adjust, I’m at half a wits end when I am recording and working alone, I feel ya.