How to "Loop" in Dorico (Pro)

Hello, I am new here, and new to Dorico. I’ve looked on YT, and everywhere I can think of within the software itself, in various Play modes and elsewhere, and am unable to find that function. Does it exist? If so, how does one execute, for example, looping two bars in a score? Thank-you!!! PS If there is a tutorial, I’d really appreciate a link to that as well.

No. It does not exist.

1 Like

One current solution is to place the bars between repeats, and set repeat count to a high number.

2 Likes

Janus, thank-you so much–and for the quick reply. There are two things that I really need and want. Looping, (for teaching and other reasons), and for stems up and down to vertically align in divisi notation for (Classical) Guitar (Sibelius does not–frustrating). What a shame, may be a deal breaker, oh well, maybe in 2030 someone will come up with the necessary code to make those things happen. Thank-you again.

Dan, thank-you. I did think of that, (Sibelius is similar), don’t know how–yet…but thought Dorico would be way to hip to require the users to rely on such a clumsy and clunky method. Even Garage Band (“free”) is a quick swipe of the mouse or trackpad and voila, done. I don’t understand why something so simple is overlooked? Thank-you again!

I understand. Dorico is a relatively young program, and they’re committed to doing things properly. I have my own list as well of things I hope to see implemented, although that list has gotten pretty niche by this point. When they add a feature, it’s outstanding in its implementation.

Can you give an example of this?

a213af7d-d146-4ca2-b2c4-2af8a9109e10

3 Likes

Dan, thanks again, wow! Do you mean an example of current Notation software that will not align vertically? I can do that , probably tomorrow, my Studio is in a separate building. Thank-you again!

Yes, just wanting to see what you’re trying to achieve. Dorico shines with that sort of thing, generally, provided it’s not quirky and uncommon.

Can you describe, or show with a picture, what you’re trying to achieve? If Dorico and Sibelius won’t do it, then I’d suggest it’s non-standard notation.

Hello, and thank-you for asking. I can describe it without a picture or screen capture. However, if “non-standard notation” is the metric, I would point out that it is “non-standard” for notation to be able to playback what ones writes, yes? Yet, Dorico, in fact, offers just that. None of my “standard notation” offers playback. And this really gets to my overall point, that since Dorico does offer playback, why not offer the functionality to repeat a smaller section, e.g., measures 8 and 9–and continues until stopped. Thoughts? …and thank-you again.

I think there might be some confusion here.

You’ve been asked to describe the stems up and down vertical alignment in divisi notation. Instead, you proceeded to explain the need for looping and didn’t talk at all about the divisi notation.

I’m thinking maybe somehow you didn’t see that they were asking about explaining the divisi notation and thought somehow that they were asking again about the looping? Because benwiggy suggested that maybe the divisi notation you want is non-standard (not talking about looping at all) and you replied that no, looping is a normal thing, and said nothing about divisi.

You’re asking about two different problems here, problem 1 is looping, problem 2 is the divisi notation you want. Problem 1 has already been addressed and there is not yet a better solution, so when people try to help you with problem 2, it is best to actually address problem 2 instead of re-iterating your need for a solution for problem 1.

And what would “looping” look like without repeating delineated barlines in a notation software?

The most common practice in a music notation is weird and slow, got it.

Garage Band is a DAW, Dorico is a notation software. They’re different approaches and have their own methods. When you adapt to the software and if the feature is well designed, it no longer feels slow.

No idea what vertical alignment of stems is.

Oh thank-you for that clarification, yes there was confusion, my apologies if there was a problem with that confusion. The last response I had received had addressed the “looping,” or lack thereof, and since a specific reference was absent, I thought that was the issue that was being referred to. Regarding alignment (problems) of divisi in the “Guitar” template in Sibelius, I experimented a bit with Dorico today–very busy teaching schedule–Dorico was spot on, with regard to alignment, and was precise and “normal.”

Thank-you for responding! I guess in my “perfect world,” whatever in the h*** that would be:) one could swipe over any group of notes, e.g., changing color, “1-e-and,” or four (4) measures, and the notation software would repeat that grouping until directed to stop. I guess one argument for this functionality is the blurring of lines between a DAW and notations software such as Dorico; by definition, they all offer “playback.” Isn’t this why, in part, Sibelius was developed (from Pro Tools, Avid), Dorico, (from Cubase / Steinberg)?, etc.? Maybe I have that wrong. Thank-you again for getting back to me! PS the alignment is just referring to different voices (SATB) vertically aligning. Thank-you!

You certainly have got that wrong!

Janus, thanks again for response. Genuine question, and just curious, not trying to “challenge” at all, just want to learn more about this. There is no correlation between the DAW’s and notation software?

I’m refraining from commenting on this topic!

(Where you got it wrong on the history is that the Dorcio team were part of the original Sibelius development and were dumped when Avid acquired Sibelius. Happily they found a new home at Steinberg and were able to rethink Dorico from scratch. Others could tell the story better)

Maybe correlation to some degree, but different tools for different jobs.

Dorico will never be a DAW. Cubase will never be notation software. They each do what they do.

The products are owned by the same companies. But ProTools and Sibelius, Cubase and Dorico, were each developed at different times by completely separate programming teams.

The fact that we can, for example, drag midi data from Cubase and drop it on Dorico is due only to very specific work by the Dorico team. (It doesn’t work in reverse.)