How to make 2 instruments rejoin on one staff

Hello all,

I’m working on an orchestral piece (my first one, as it happens!) with two clarinets (2nd doubling Bass Clarinet). For most of the piece, Cl. 2 is playing Bs. Cl., but then for the last couple pages, it plays regular clarinet, either a2 with Cl. 1, or simply playing in 3rds with it. What I’d like to do is, from that point on, have both clarinet parts on one staff, rather than taking up space unnecessarily with two staves of essentially the exact same thing. Any recommendations on the best way to do this? Thanks!

For now, you must use a workaround. You can create a third “player” that would be clarinets 1 AND 2. This staff would be empty except for the bars where you want both players on the same staff… Then, if you apply “Hide staves when empty” in a smart way, you could end with the result that you’re looking for.
The implementation of automatic “reduction” of the score is something Daniel has already written about, and it is not yet a very high priority — I understand that the next top priority is unpitched percussion ^^

I suppose we could live in hope that “supporting unpitched percussion” will include arbitrary ways to split and merge percussion staves in orchestra scores and parts - and that might read across to other instruments as well …

But I’m not holding my breath!

Ha. OK, thanks, guys.