How to make a mono channel stereo when placing a stereo file?

Hey guys! I’m switching to Cubase, from Logic after 12 years. I just created a template with 32 mono channels, but when I import a stereo file to a track, it doesn’t convert automatically to stereo, like Logic does. I can’t find a solution, and I find it very inconvenient to create an extra channel (stereo) every time I want to bring a stereo file to the session.

Help please! :pray:t2:

Unfortunately, this does not work in Cubase. You need to create a separate stereo track for that.
I prefer having stereo tracks separated on two mono tracks hard panned left/right, because you’re more flexible to edit them. If you wanna try that out, there is an option to split stereo tracks to L/R mono tracks when importing an audio file.

But there is a feature request to convert mono tracks to stereo and vice versa, you can support that one with a vote (on the left of the thread title) and the ones with the most votes are more likely to get implemented by Steinberg.

Switching mono to stereo - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Or just dont use mono tracks, only use stereo tracks

I’m not sure why you would create tracks to then import audio. You can import and create a track at the same time.

Unfortunately not a 100% solution. If you record mono sources to stereo tracks the monitoring level will be higher than the playback level.

Monitoring level should not be the reason, it’s easy compensated, if an issue at all. Really depends on what gear is used and how monitoring is done.

Thanks for your answer Tj! I was so excited to start using Cubase, but the lack of this feature is making me reconsider my decision of switch my DAW. I’m so bummed. :frowning:

Please explain how this level increase is compensated. I’m used to working only with stereo from other DAWs so I’d really like to go back to that.

I’m monitoring through Cubase and not directly via the interface. How can I avoid the level increase in a way that does not require fiddling whenever I create a track?

It’s just a different way of working in Cubase. Anyone moving to logic will miss certain features but gain others and the same from logic to Cubase. None of them are the same. I prefer Cubase features

1 Like

Good point mkok. :nerd_face:

Monitoring level is higher than playback level? never noticed that.

It’s a limitation in Cubase/Nuendo. Here’s a thread on it.

Will this still be an issue if you change project’s pan law to 0db?

According to this thread linked by Sibben: No.

But to be honest, I’d not use a stereo track for recording mono sources anyway. In the case of vocals I’d suggest to use a vocal stereo group where you route your recorded mono vocal tracks, and put the processing on the group or you could just send the mono vocal to a stereo FX track.

If you really want to use stereo tracks for mono sources in recording, you could also have 1 dedicated recording track and multiple playback tracks.

Directly after recording you drag the audio file down to one of the playback tracks, this also makes punch in/punch out obsolete and enables you to easier edit all the recorded takes if they overlap each other.
In fact, thats how I record all the time, even with mono tracks. It is usually also better for the musician, as most of the times the recording level needs to be louder than the playback level. So the recording track will be set at another volume than the playback tracks.

Sorry I was replying without quoting so I may be misunderstood.

I was actually replying to:

So If you set your project’s pan law to 0db then there should be no difference in monitoring vs playback volume.

This actually seems to work. When I read that (quite messy) thread I got the incorrect impression that it was a limitation. Thanks for clearing that up.

1 Like