How to make a Track that is heavily pasted together sound best

Is there a Tool in Cubase that works well to do something like - take a track with a lot of pasted together guitar riffs that each part may be louder or softer and with heavier or lighter attack and even out the whole track - so That the riffs sound as though you just played them well in one pass ? I suppose you could just take each part , individually and try to even out the volume etc …but is there another way that works well .

The right way to do this would be to use automation of volume, or slice your track up into clips based on volume level and use the clip gain. A quick easy way would be to use Squasher to do both upwards and downwards compression to get your levels more consistent. You could also try Waves Bass or Vocal Rider and see how that works.

I would take each part and do them separately. Somethings just take time to get them right. You can use automation but I like to get each part balanced with the next first so use the pencil tool on each part to do this. I may then use automation for overall volume but at least the basic parts stay as they are no matter how I move them.

There’s many methods, you can set each element by hand using volume envelopes and applying fades to clean up transitions between clips.

You could apply a limiter/compressor and be aggressive on the gain which will squash your dynamic range bringing everything closer, and then turning down the resulting sound from that to a level that suits.

You can re-amp through an amp sim plugin, using gain and compression controls to smooth out the sound, apply a bit of reverb to blend it.

It’s hard to say without working with it, i.e. is it a dry guitar signal, is it processed? Clean or distorted etc?

If you’re chopping processed guitar then you will lose the tail of some of the effects when spliced up, and so using overlapping fades is very important to get a continuous sound.

This is all good advice, and my 2 cents is that if you want this to sound really good, you’ll probably end up doing a bunch of automation/manual volume curves/clip gain manipulation, as some of the previous comments are suggesting. I don’t think there are any foolproof, fully automated tools/plugins that can get this 100% right, you’ll need to use your ears and tweak things manually to get it really well dialed in.

The first thing is to ensure that the transitions between the different recordings are smooth, using cross fades.

When you’ve done that, as people have said, there are two basic approaches, and you’ll probably need both:

• use plugins to alter the sound
  • use automation / clip gain / to alter the volume.

Clearly, a compressor, or multiple compressors are the obvious first choice for plugins .But if the tone of the guitar changes when you play harder, you can use an EQ as well, and use automation to control it so that it acts in the right way in each section. A third option to put into the mix is dynamic equalisation, which will alter the EQ automatically depending on what the signal is doing. My personal approach would be to start with compression and dynamic EQ.

As Skijumptoes has said, you can also use other effects to homogenise the sound, such as reverb, delay, distortion, phasing, chorus etc.

Thank you for the information

Thank you

thank you