How to override Dorico's note grouping with a tie

All,

I’m sure this is simple, but I can’t figure it out. Dorico insists on turning an 8th tied to a half into a 8th tied to two quarters. I feel that is more taxing for a player to process. How do I override this?

See the attached.

Thanks,

Mike

Screen Shot 2023-11-24 at 11.21.55 AM
Screen Shot 2023-11-24 at 11.21.44 AM

There are options to change this in Notation Options >Note Grouping. If those don’t work for what you want, then you’ll need to use Force Duration.

Ben,

Thanks. I went looking for Notation Options, which I gather is supposed to be part of the Write drop-down menu. But it isn’t there for me on Dorico 5. (See attachment.) What am I missing?

Thanks for your help with this little matter.

Mike

No, all the Options are under the Library menu. (Oh, you might not have it if you on Dorico Elements, though.)

Thanks! Yes, I have Dorico Pro 5. I see it there now, and was able to fix it, with your guidance. Much appreciated.

The Steinberg.help page needs updating, as it says that this feature is under Write, not Library.

Thanks!

– Mike

It might need updating – but check you’re looking at the Help pages for Version 5. If you Google, it will give you an earlier version (because it has had more hits over the years).

1 Like

Here’s that page in the latest, Dorico 5 manual:

You can identify the version from which you’re viewing a page by looking at the top left of the page, or in the URL itself.

If you think a page is incorrect, the best thing to do is post here or message me directly, and ideally please include a link to the page in question (makes it easier for me to track down exactly what you’re looking at!)