How to pitch shift an entire track

Hi all,

I am hoping this is really simple. Basically here is the intended accomplishment:

1. Create midi track/instrument track that has a VSL (Vienna Symphonic Library) instrument in it.

2. Raise the pitch in Vienna Player Pro, so that it plays one half tone higher/lower (or one full tone) than written.

3. Set my track in Cubase to go the opposite and Raise/Lower the pitch back to as written.

I am doing this because I want to create additional sets of the same instrument, to layer or expand the orchestra size, without triggering the same sample and phasing each other out during unison playing.

i.e. 8 Dimension Violins 1, add 8 more to give me a full 16 violins 1 section, pitch shifting the second 8.

Thanks for any help you can give on this situation!

Sounds like a potentially brilliant solution to me. You’re going to be doing some damage to the pristine-ness of the samples, pitching them up and down, though.

Why not just assign to, say viola in one channel/instrument, then violins in another, etc., And build yourself a good ole orchestra–without having to pitch shift?

The problem is the limitation of available players. Dimension Strings only has 8 violins, 6 violas, 6 celli and 4 basses. To build an entire orchestral section from those 8 people, will take using them twice each. When you do that, player 1 will be used 2 times. When you play a legato leading line, they will phase each other. So my options are limited to the transposition trick as stated originally, or layering them with a bigger section like Orchestral strings. Problem is I don’t like how the others sound so I will build my own. I can also have them play different articulations, but this won’t always work as sometimes only one sample is what you get, such as a pizzicato.

I hear people doing this all the time but I don’t want to fiddle with “pitch wheels” etc. I just want Cubase to automatically do for me, what a pitch wheel would do for me, without me having to do the work of setting up a pitch lane. I would imagine this software has that ability I just haven’t found it in the manual yet.

Yeah, sounds like a legit way of doing it, for sure! Let us know how it goes.

If it ends up not sounding quite as thick as you want, maybe send the pitched set through a pitch/doubler -type plugin, like Waves Doubler?

I still haven’t found a solution for this if anyone knows.

All I want to do, is have my midi track or instrument track saved in my template with a specific pitch shift going at all times. So if I want it to pitch shift say +50 (making that up), whenever I play that track it automatically does this. I don’t want to have to go back to the performance, and edit it and add a lane for pitch bend and then raise it +50 every single time I do a project.

Thanks and appreciate any help!

Hey - you look familiar. :wink:

I am not sure what you are asking here. You seem to have answered your Q in your initial thread, no?

If I were you, what I would do, is raise the pitch of the MIDI data 1 half step (or lower the data, depending on if the lib is sampled chromatically, or in half steps, and how the instr. is built), and then render that to audio.

Say you have a violin line that is D F E. Raise the MIDI data 1 half step (D# F# F), and render that to audio. Put the MIDI data back to it’s original position (D F E), pitch shift the audio event -1 semitone (that now becomes D F E), and then move it several samples in either direction, That will now play in pitch with the MIDI data, and give you a pseudo-fuller sound.

Cheers.