How to 'print' inserts onto a track

Hi all:

Yesterday I received a request from iZotope to use one of my tracks in their engineering workshops to show off their plugs. I’d like to take a project, which uses a mix of plugins, and print the non-iZotope plugins directly onto the track while leaving the iZotope ones in place. Is there a way to do this short of exporting stems and re-importing them back into the track? That seems like a lot of work :wink:

As far as I can tell, bounce doesn’t print the inserts.

Bounce doesn’t print the inserts, correct.

One way to do it is to route the track into another track and record real-time. There are a few ways to do the routing, one way would be to create a new group, send the track in question to the new group, create a new track to record onto and set it’s input to be the new group. Then record in real-time. You can do this to many groups/tracks with one pass. I sometimes do this to render VSTi’s with and without FX.

The routing can also be done with dummy outputs created in the Connections window rather than groups.

Another way might be to set the L/R locators and export the tracks in question with the FXs bypassed, then import the resulting wavs.

But, there’s no ‘render with fx’ button unfortunately, and I don’t think that Freeze audio files can be lifted these days.

Mike.

That’s a bummer. It seems like I should just export stems and reimport them into the project one-by-one as that sounds just slightly more efficient than the other methods listed. More work than I would have liked.

I don’t know how often this is the case, but if you are working collaboratively with someone who doesn’t have the same plugin set you do, it sure would be nice to be able to say “print these effects onto this channel permanently” (different from freeze mind you).

That’s a bummer. It seems like I should just export stems and reimport them into the project one-by-one as that sounds just slightly more efficient than the other methods listed.

Can’t you use the batch export?

You do need to run once for mono & once for stereo but 2 passes is better than one for every channel.

Yes, that’s how I export stems when people do remixes of my music. And that’s what I’ll have to do in this case too.

But I was hoping to preserve the project and just print specific FX to the tracks. That way when they use my track as a workshop track with engineers, they can see much of what I’ve done to get the tracks to sound like they do. That is more work because I have to import the stems back into the project.

In the export audio dialogue I would just tick the import back to project option & then once you have run the mono & stereo batches all you’ll need do is go move the new events to the correct tracks & delete the now empty new tracks.

Thanks, I’ll try that!

As a final wrap up to this, I got confirmation that iZotope will be demoing their plugs on my song in ProTools and Ableton Live, not Cubase. (Boooo!) So I just sent them WAV stems wih FX on, and with FX bypassed.