How to -properly- export regions to Pro Tools including WAV-timestamp?

I wonder how to properly export audio regions (clips) to other DAWs, e.g. Pro Tools including WAV-timestamp?

Nuendo’s Edit/Render In Place- and File/Export Selected Events-features look very promising because they allow you to name the rendered audio-files after their original names, they allow you to save the rendered audio-file into a dedicated folder and they allow to add a tail to the rendered audio-files but unfortunately they both remove the WAV-timestamp of the rendered audio-files…so, for importing the rendered audio-files to their chronological position in another DAW, both functions are useless.

Is there another way to “Export-In-Place” while retaining the WAV-timestamp?

Niek/ Amsterdam

Here is another way of exporting regions. You can label it with Project Time, but I’m not sure you can time stamp it.

Thanks Sunshy, but your link shows the message “Video not available”…

I found out that Audio/Bounce Selection actually does what I want to achieve: it renders an audio region as-is into a new audio-file including WAV-timestamp.
That means I can import it at its original position into another DAW.

Though; Audio/Bounce selection doesn’t allow for a tail, and when working on a big project, it turns out to be very unhandy that you have to manually find all these bounced/rendered audio-files in the Projects’ Audio folder, in order to use them in another DAW… I wish there was an option to save bounced files into a separate folder…

Any professional suggestions welcome!
Niek/ Amsterdam.

I usually use the range selection tool, make a big selection from the first track to the last and from the beginning to the end (including any tail if you want), then “bounce selection”

This will make new consolidated audio files for every track, all the same length (the selection you made) each will take the name of the track its on. Will not include any mixer processing, just the raw audio. You can choose to replace what’s in you project or not (it will still make the files anyway)

They will be easy to find in the audio folder as they will all be exactly the same size (unless it a mix on mono and stereo tracks) they will also have the same creation time (so you just sort the folder by size or date and they will all be grouped together)

A second option is to use the channel batch export, however unlike “bounce selection” this will include and plugs or processing that you may or may not want depending on the situation. also if all your tracks are assigned to a stereo output bus, all the resultant tracks will be stereo files, even if some were originally mono tracks, again may or may not suit your need.

either way, you can now put these into any different DAW.

Do you think Steinberg forgot to implement the WAV-timestamp function into Nuendo’s Edit/Render In Place- and File/Export Selected Events-features?
Or do these features not need the WAV-timestamp-function? Am I looking “too far” for a function with which I can collaborate with “other DAW”-users?

Niek/ Amsterdam

Is aaf an option?

by Tumppi Järnefelt » 25 Sep 2018 06:57

Is aaf an option?

Thanks Tumppi, but also when exporting as AAF, Nuendo doesn’t write timestamps in the resulting WAV’s. One needs the AAF file in “the other DAW” in order to import the audio-files to their original positions…Besides that, AAF doesn’t allow multichannel audio-files, which -in my view- makes it difficult to use it in project collaboration…

For example; when a dialogue-editor and a SFX-editor both work on the same project in their respective Nuendo-based studios, and when they deliver their “results” to the re-recording mixer which works in Pro Tools, this re-recording mixer would be very happy to receive rendered dialogue-audio-files and rendered SFX-audio-files which contain WAV-timestamps ? And it would even be more handy when these rendered audio files have names that have been derived from their original file-names, so that this re-recording-mixer exactly knows that he’s dealing with the correct files? I wonder how the big studios work when collaborating and when working with different DAWS?

Niek/ Amsterdam

I would render in place and then make aaf. Unless I don’t understand something. Yes, no tails :frowning:
That is why I deliver also ”raw” tracks as aaf.

I would render in place and then make aaf

Although it takes a lot of effort and space in Nuendo’s Project Window (Render In Place creates new tracks…) I think that’s a great suggestion to work around this (in my view:) giant omission.
Thanks.

Niek/ Amsterdam

Cool!