How to put Cubase 6 on new computer

Hi,

I started with Cubase AI. Bought Cubase 5, then upgraded to Cubase 6. Now I’m getting a new computer. How do I get Cubase 6 only on the new computer? I assume it’s more difficult than just plugging in my dongle and installing Cubase 6.

Phil

Actually it should be that simple…

Just install the program and the upddates, both to your dongle and software. Very simple. Don’t forget to move/copy all your project files to the new computer as well!

Just install the program and the upddates, both to your dongle and software. Very simple. Don’t forget to move/copy all your project files to the new computer as well!

The point is install what? Can I install just Cubase 6–even though that was just an upgrade?

Phil

You must first uninstall C5 (unless you still plan to use it for some reason) but remember to retain your plugin directory, as well as backup any presets and project templates.

In the Cubase application data folder, there are files for Key Commands and so on which you may also be interested to save and copy over new versions installed with the latest version.

Yes. The update version is a full version of Cubase, it is just the license that is updated. The other comments are just to make sure you get the newest version of eLincenser, and don’t forget to move any projects, presets, etc., that you created.
HTH
J.L.

Not true. You can have as many versions installed as you like. Beware of preference inheritance however.

As I said you “must” uninstall it unless you still plan to use it.

There is nothing binding on the user to not keep an earlier version, it was simply figurative language.

Other threads discuss alternative ways to upgrade, preference inheritance works here no dramas whatsoever since Steinberg are using XML for configuration.

Maybe this is an opportunity for someone to create a knowledgebase article regarding the various files used to administer the Cubase application.

As the OP wants to install “C6 only” onto a new computer it would be impossible to uninstall a non existent program!