how to re-connect to usb midi while cubase in running?

Hi there,

actually there is a ‘Reset’ button in Cubase. I can not guarantee that it works with every MIDI device, but it definitely resetes mine if I unplug it and then plug it back while Cubase is still running. You can find this button in the ‘Device Setup’ menu.

I hope this helps!

Regards

Hi there,

additionally I would like to explain, that Cubase 6 scans every available/installed Midi- port/ Driver while starting, regardless if a Midi- device is connected to it.
Luis has already explained the “Reset” function and both should allow the disconnection and reconnection while
Cubase 6 is running.
But unfortunately we know from some Midi- drivers, that do not support this feature.

So you can try to reset the Midi- Driver/Port while Cubase 6 is running, but sometimes you have still to restart Cubase 6.

Cheers,

Marcus

Dude your perception of Cubase and Steinberg is not in line with reality. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t make your preception the rest of the world’s reality. Cubase is VERY well respected. Have fun with Pro Tools and their crappy support if you’re that ticked off with Steinberg or maybe get Windows 7 for Dummies book to help you out.

And that’s why I use it for about two decades, but without any criticism we’d stuck in the stone age… I think you didn’t really read carefully what i wrote.

Thanks, I was pretty sure that button is just for refreshing the MIDI Port list info, or dummy button without any use :slight_smile: Honestly I pushed it thousand times without any result on all sorts of controllers mainly from Akai and Novation. Do you have any list of positively tested devices by any chance?

Thanks, I was pretty sure that button is just for refreshing the MIDI Port list info, or dummy button without any use Honestly I pushed it thousand times without any result on all sorts of controllers mainly from Akai and Novation. Do you have any list of positively tested devices by any chance?

To actually own Cubase and “all sorts of controllers” (and quite expensive ones by the quotes) implies that one has, of course because one is a professional, read all the manuals and actually knows how computer systems and audio peripherals actually work.

Aside from that niggle I’m wondering why ANYONE would actually need to push the midi reset button a “thousand times”. If I had to do that I’d take my rig to bits or have my engineers look at the unit. I certainly wouldn’t waste time haranguing a DAW company’s user forum and go straight to the support area.
Do you have a list of negatively tested devices by any chance? Just offhand, like. :mrgreen:

I Can’t see any reason why are you so active on this topic with nothing relevant to say, you’re just trolling.

But after that experience I’ve got much more bigger picture about on what sort of ‘feedback’ Steinberg builds its sense of being ‘in touch’ with Cubase ‘users’. Over and Out

You’ve been found out.

I have contributed more real solutions to this thread that you have hijacked for your own ends to satisfy any normal user that the solution is in their own hands and much simpler than asking a forum or a complete programming team to fix.
That you are offended by common sense answers to your obvious lack of knowledge on the subject and have to resort to accusations tells us more about you than I suspect you want us to know.
If you had (or had even just used in another studio) all the equipment you claim then you would know not to accuse the software maker of incompetence. You would have fixed it yourself and not have needed to resort to weedily wibbling on a forum that can only address so much anyway.

Yeah Dude, You’ve got me! I am a frustrated teenager who have nothing else to do than trolling on the internet forum. I hate people because i’m angry that i didn’t get a midi controller for birthday… so far I’ve got 15 posts on Cubase forum, but i believed i could get up to 2000 and then they’d send me some cool Cubase stickers or badges… and when i reach 5000 i’d get a t-shirt or even a baseball cup with C logo. That would be really cool, i’d take pic in a bathroom wearing it and then put it as an avatar on this forum as a MASTER MEMBER! That would be even more cool than going to work and buying midi controllers. I’d be so busy with ruling the forum that i wouldn’t even need any controllers… besides i don’t believe that anyone can have more than one controller, only one guy in my school has two, but his father is very rich and have to work as a sound designer day and night, which must be terrible and awkward…
You’re unbelievable! how did you know that? I’m so ashamed that i have to cancel my account now …you’ve destroyed me and my dreams, provoked to went off-topic! brought me to down to your level and beat me with your experience! i’m done, the forum is now yours, my Master! byyyyeeeeeeeeeeee… (distant crash and rumble)

Marcus, just go to Mac platform, buy original software and be happy… I use PC platform personally, but I don’t feel pleasure disconnecting my gear while I’m producing. That’s just me. If I had to make my music the way you do I’d buy a mac for real…

Hi esterman,

I need to say, that I am using a PC for over 15 Years now as a professional user. I have never had any regrets about changing to a PC environment.
A Mac is ok, if you like it…but in my own studio the only Apple product is my iPhone…:wink:

So it is up anyone which platform is more useful for your workflow…

Cheers,

Marcus

My 2 cents is all mumbling in anger.

So no any real solutions to this problem? I’ve read the forums for 3 hours now. I’ve got a deadline to deliver some music to customer by the end of the day. But now, that Cubase has stopped working for the 5th time today, I kind of gave up and let some steam off in here.

My scenario is alll too funny. I have the combinated issue of two issues that make my life as a professional a quite bit harder. The USB Midi device (in this case M-audio Axiom Pro 61) just doesn’t work all of the sudden. There’s no way of reseting it and making it to work, other than shutting down cubase, un-powering and re-powering the device and re-opening Cubase. Fine. Sure. I can do that 20591 times a day, but my projects tend to have massive amount of samples in them (Various patches of Hollywood strings, brass and other Kontakt-based libraries). It’d take just a while re-open the project, since my 64gb of RAM hosts it neatly.

But the hang ups on closing the Cubase makes this a little difficult. There’s no way to stop cubase in task manager thus making me boot my windows and there I go again. After 10 minutes project is up again only for the keyboard to “crash” again.

The problem for me isn’t losing the immediate 45-60minutes per day due to the crashes, but it’s the workflow. When this happens the 3th time per day, I’ve got to admit, I get kinda f’n frustrated. The 4th time Cubase project is up I’m oh so fed up that making that happy-happy-joy-joy piece of music is nearly impossible. I believe the feeling could be compared to scenario, when your job is to walk for 10 meters but each time you try, after 2 meters you get hit by a train. Hope this unorthodox allegory is so relatable and heartwarming that someone, in the name of Chuck Norris would help me out.

Is there any concrete news on how to fix these problems? I’ve done the format C: -things already so let’s just skip it. My system is W7-64bit, Cubase 6(latest update) also 64bit. Like all the plugins as well in 64. Komplete 8, Play engine and… well those are what i mostly use.

E: In addition I’d like to say, that those 25% of the times the cubase does not hang up on exit it delivers me an error message, which I’m fine with. Just another “okay” to click.

Have a nice weekend, people!

Have you tried another USB cable?
And why don’t you use a descent audio device with MIDI i/o to hook up your primary MIDI device, to get around USB issues?
M-Audio isn’t exactly famous for there rock solid drivers!

You could also try to open command prompt and type:
taskkill /IM Cubase6.exe

Maybe try a different route :wink:

Hi there,

if the Midi Keyboard / USB- device is deleted/crashing/offline…this could occur from a bad Power Option setting in the Windows Control Panel and is not related to Cubase directly. Windows shuts down USB- devices for Power saving.

You should ensure, that in the
Windows Control Panel/Power Options/High Performance/Edit Plan Settings/Change advanced power settings/USB settings
the “USB selective suspend setting” is “disabled”

Cheers,

Marcus

The problem for me isn’t losing the immediate 45-60minutes per day due to the crashes, but it’s the workflow. When this happens the 3th time per day, I’ve got to admit, I get kinda f’n frustrated. The 4th time Cubase project is up I’m oh so fed up that making that happy-happy-joy-joy piece of music is nearly impossible. I believe the feeling could be compared to scenario, when your job is to walk for 10 meters but each time you try, after 2 meters you get hit by a train. Hope this unorthodox allegory is so relatable and heartwarming that someone, in the name of Chuck Norris would help me out.

I’m not quoting all of the post.

If you have problems this severe then the forum is not really the place to go for support. You should get the support desk online to guide you through what needs to be done to cure this as it certainly should not be that bad.
I think solutions along the lines Marcus outines are the way out for you with this problem.

If Conman is referring into purchasing a Macintosh, I’d have to say No right off the bat.

I like many others, I believe, are not as sophisticated when it comes to engineering around IT. The code, or other things involved. All I know is that I spend 600€ on a software that doesn’t work the way I thought it would. It’s a tool to make music. So I can sell it, so I can send an invoice, so I get money, so I can eat. Tool is broken and it bothers me.

I - in a whatta-heck manner - removed all the contents of VST3 folder and so far these problems haven’t occurred. In fact I think it closes much faster than what I’m used to. Still the same ol’ crash error notifications, but I don’t mind.

No, I’m not referring to buying a Mac. Whatever you use if the problem is this serious for you then you must contact support directly as a forum is pretty much useless as a vehicle for serious complaints as, by their very nature, any investigation will be pretty shallow on anything but basic problems. They’re good for having a moan but (long term) moaning never fixes anything.
But my opinion is still with me in that if you disconnect anything the software using it (Cubase in this case) cannot know what settings have been made to it, or defaulted to, while it was disconnected and so has to re-establish every time on reconnect so it cannot always be reliable to dis/reconnect. ie: if settings are not drastic you may get away with it.
Having said that your problem is different in that your USB is disconnecting itself in operation and therefore that is not a Cubase issue but looks like a driver or, as stated, a Windows setting problem.
Have you tried Marcus’s suggestion on altering the Windows settings?

And seeing as how your problem, JanneAir, is different than the Original Poster’s it may pay you to open a new thread on this so it attracts a wider audience and someone who may have a quick fix for you.

A Mac is ok, if you like it…but in my own studio the only Apple product is my iPhone…> :wink:

So it is up anyone which platform is more useful for your workflow…

Hi Marcus, I couldn’t agree more with you! I work with Cubase on PC myself ever since I started and wouldn’t change it for a Mac. But at the same time, I don’t need to disconnect/reconnect USB devices while I’m using Cubase.

My message was for user “marcusidio”, sorry if you thought it was for you, I didn’t write his username correct. Since he is complaining so much that Cubase can’t reconnect to usb devices while running, I was suggesting to him the only option I thought was plausible, because he is really angry about this. And I don’t think the blame is on Cubase, I thought it was on Windows O/S.

Is it wrong to say that Cubase on MacOS environment can reconnect to USB devices while it’s running? For example, if you disconnect a USB midi keyboard or an interface, and plug it back in, Cubase on Mac can recognize the device without having to restart the software, but in Windows, you have to restart Cubase to use the newly connected device.

Please confirm to me if I have a wrong view about this because I thought that was a point to consider when choosing Mac and PC, especially if you want to use Cubase on live situations. I have given this advice to people who have asked me the difference between both platforms.

I don’t know why someone would be complaining so much about this, but I can’t really judge the way someone produces, maybe he needs to change USB devices all the time, who knows…