How to record easy MIDI notes

For the controller you want to manage the note values, simply select that device for your input routing in your track’s inspector. If you want that controller to control both commands and note data, assign it as your input routing and make sure you have your commands activated under Remote Devices.

Your quantize values and toggle step input are under MIDI Quantize in Key Commands. The left/right controls for your line are under Navigate> Left/Right.

I used this link to help me configure my Nanopad: MIDI Controllers I love SOS.

As far as a true MIDI keyboard vs. a Nanokey I would prefer to use a keyboard for ease of use.
I love having all the keys there in front of me like a piano, and find it convenient to be sure which octave I’m on as I enter the pitch data. I can also send sustain data from my keyboard.

Can a MIDI keyboard send more MIDI messages than a nankey? I am honestly not sure, I don’t normally use this. Since I don’t own a Nanokey, I’m not sure what it’s capable of.

I am still trying to connect the nanopad controller, it has 4 scenes ( save controller assign) so 1 scene knobs for the note entry ,quantisize and transportcontrollers
I want also buy a USB divider to connect 2 usb nanaocontrollers on one usb cable.

Is everything going alright?

I am still figuring this out…
Well i am trying to connect the nanaopad to cubase with device setup
Now i must the Set Inserth Lenghts ( Key Commands) note values to the trigger pads of nanopad
The solution for this must be found in the device setup in Cubase.
I connected 2 nano controllers but if this is working…but first the trigger assigning must be working

Maybe this will help:

What I’ve done is basically add 48 pads at the top (12 pads times 4 scenes). Then I select scene 1 pad 1, press the corresponding pad on the controller, click Learn, and watch as it finds the address. I do this for each pad. Each time a different scene is activated on the controller, your pad will have a different address.

And you can set up your commands as you please; you can see how I’ve done it in my screenshot.
Connecting the two nano controllers with one USB port seems confusing; I’ve never tried anything quite like that.

Thank you very much Bane!..this is so helpful and i can see exactly what is needed
Ofcourse midi learn…
Because the nanopad 2 has 16 pads /scene, i do want use only one scene 1 for note value + toggle dotted/triplets ( top row ) and bottom row for quantisize + toggle quantisize dotted /triplets
All other controls can stay with the computer keyboard…makes this sense?
Example 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8,1/16, 1/32, toggle dotted/triplet

Korgs sells also a USB nano hub for connecting more than one nano controller at the same time, but i bought one in the local computerstore here.
I select : All Midi Inputs for the 2 nanocontrollers
So i lined up here in front of me the2 nano controllers…bottomcontroller the nanokey and on top… the nanopad

I can chance the note- positon/quantisize/value with the nanopad and note-input in the score editor with the nanokey
Well let me setup the nanopad and than i will see how/if it works :slight_smile:

It seems that the first trigger pad 1 … with value 1/1 ( whole note): set Insert Lenght get no value with Midi Learn
Problem i have connected the 2 nano controllers at the same time in this setup and in the Korg Kontrol editor i can only assign 1 usb midi driver a the same time
If this has to do with the nano kontrollers on 1 usb port?
Perhaps if i give the nano contollers a own usb port on my computer?
SOS article Korg Nano Series

I have used one USB cable what is enforcing the signal and connect on this the USB hub and then the two nanocontrollers
Perhaps this hardware setup is not the right one and i have to buy the original korg USB hub what works
The sos article says:

A USB to mini-USB cable is helpfully supplied with each unit. If you need to connect the Nanos via a USB hub, it should be of the powered variety, otherwise connections must be made directly to the computer’s USB ports.

So for i now i connect both controllers to a individual usb port on my computer and investigate if it works now

Yes, well I have assigned the other scenes to different tasks.

Scene 1: Score Editing
Scene 2: Audio Recording
Scene 3: Audio Editing
Scene 4: Project Starter

I would think it unwise to connect two controllers to themselves. If you give them their own USB port, they will work fine. :wink: Have you tried connecting the controllers to a powered hub or is the nanohub powered?

Thanks!

Yes i bought a powered nanohub and it seems that both nanocontrollers are working!, but not with the wanted functionality.
But there is a problem to get “trigger one pad” ( scene 1 ) from the nanopad to act as a selection button for choosing a whole note (the score editor …note values toolbar)

The fist Trigger pad recognise this as a note- on event, so the score gets a note added…wrong…that must be done with the nanokey!
What Midi Status must have this first trigger pad to select a whole note value in the score editor?

Another place to look after is the Korg control editor itself with possible configurations there…editing scene data
Can i chance the nanopad configuration in the Korg kontrol editor that Cubase recognizes the trigger pad 1 from nanopad as a button ?
It is a Midi CC parameter - the button- …i see a number of CC controllers
17 Knob 1 or General Purpose Slider 2
18 General Purpose Slider 3
19 Knob 2 General Purpose Slider 4
20 Knob 3 or Undefined
21 Knob 4 or Undefined

I can take Midi CC 20 ? …as Midi Status Value ?.. or do i miss here something ?

You have to select another MIDI input for your track’s input routing in your inspector. If only one of your controllers shows up, this may be impossible to configure correctly because you are using two controllers to one USB port. For most tasks, this would work okay, but I guess not for this one.

I’m not using the Korg Control Editor. I don’t think a pad can control CC Data, since it isn’t a knob or slider; you would need Korg NanoKontrol for that. Also, take a look again at how it’s setup in my screenshot.

It is a tricky thing, because it is not even documented by Korg itself how to use more than one nanocontroller at the same time…i don’t understand why it is not documented, but information on internet shows that it is complicated.

You are right to suggest to use two USB ports for every nanocontroller one… i gonna try this…because the powered HUB seems no to be working
When i assign the nanokey in the korg control editor to a midiport and open the other nanopad …than there is no midi port to choose ( how many midiports has Cubase? …16 midichannels /midiport0

i made the same device setup for the the nanopad on a own USB port as the picture of @Bane shows.
Selection of a note value is possible , but the trigger pad add also a note in the score… that’s unwanted, because for that i use the nanokey also on his own usb port too.

It seems also that the powered USB also the same works as with 2 seperated usb ports?
The problem is how to get the nanopad only for selecting a note value and not adding a notevalue too?

If this can be done in the device setup in Cubase than it is solved, if not than there must be done something with the korg control editor.
I can chance the assign type for a triggerpad : No assign/control chance/note /program chance–. the only candidate for this is control chance…but this is also midi related … the triggerpad acts here a a second keyboard
I can assign keycommands to my computerkeyboard, but in this case i must assign the keycommands to the nanaopad triggercontrols.
So than i must choose : for the assign type of the trigger control: no assign ?
I noted also that the device setup is done only for midi channel 1 ?
It is simple …use the triggerpads only as buttons!..no midi event
It seems to be that i am lost in the configuaration crap?

Check this out:

Select your nanokey here instead of All MIDI Input; that will fix your problem.

I doubt this will work if your controllers are on the same USB port. :frowning:

Korg support will be the best prepared to help you with this. :wink:

Thanks! :slight_smile:
Yes i did already your idea of connecting the nano controllers each on a seperate USB port…AND the input routing to nanoPAD2 1 PAD
For the nanokey i assign for the inputrouting NANOkey2 1 Keyboard on the other USB
Let me start now only with the nanopad and not connecting the nanokeyboard ( it seems that the nanokeyboard is the same as a real midi keyboard for connections?)
Tell me…how does your nanaopad working…can you select only the value than and add a note with your midi keyboard?

Perhaps had Korg support a answer for this

Oops! I meant to say to select your Nanokey there; I edited it for accuracy. So tired!!

It works perfectly! The same thing was happening to me, until I set my Casio keyboard as the input routing on all my tracks. You won’t need to contact Korg about MIDI controller setup, but I can’t imagine what’s going on if your nanokey is selected as the input routing!

I can imagine that you get tired of this… me too :wink:…the worst scenario happens here.
But I noticed also that you use Cubase version 5 and i use 6.5… and you use nanopad1 and i use the nanopad2, so there can be chanced something? …there is not the same setup!
Still not working… the triggerpad is adding the unwanted notevalue in the score
i now have alone the nanopad2 connected and the first triggerpad with the value: Device=command, Channel/Categrory= Set Insert Length, Value/Action=1/1,Flags=P

Perhaps it is going here wrong… can you give the value for your triggerpad what select a whole note ( to start with)
Possible that i don’t give the right value?

Note: under the triggerpads has nanopad2 already notevalues programmed by default … so when the device setup is not programmed
I can add notes too with this in the step score
Perhaps it is necessary to chance here the default state of the nanopad?

Could you post a screenshot of your Device Setup page? You are very correct that something could be different between our versions of Cubase or Nanopad. How about if you select Not Connected for the input routing? Is your controller listed as a MIDI device under MIDI device Manager?

I normally use MIDI Quantize as the Channel/Category and leave the Set Insert Length at Quantize link, but it would probably be most handy to assign all these values to their own pads.

No… the controller is not listed…only listed are soundmodules and synthesizers

Set insert Length at Quantisize link that is not done with the nanopad than, but is done within Cubase
Enclosed a screen shot of what Channel/category values to choose from this list

Note: the nanopad acts only for my like a extended computerkeyboard like with keycommands , so the triggerpads have nothing to do with MIDI
Ofcourse i can use the 2 bottom rows of the computerkeyboard to assign the note/quantisize values values and more, but than th edefault keymapping of Cubase in jeopardize.

I must try to get entrance to the extend toolbar in the score editor and other toolbars and assign this to th etrigger pads
Stupid software of over 1000 USD …not possible to do this ?

I don’t see a solution to use the triggerpads a keycommands in Cubase 6.5
Than using the computer keyboard and use the bottom two rows together with CTrl and Alt for toggle for triplets and dotted notes
I can save this keycommands as user for stepscoring
Further i use the nanaokey for note entry and also the nanopad for other purposes

Its unbelievable this at least 700 usd costing software has no easy score composing…it looks like crap
Now i must make score with my keyboard in step mode…woow it is crazy…i want my money back :slight_smile:

So what’s the problem again? Are the pads triggering the key commands you assigned them too?

It’s funny; your List is longer, but also different from mine:

I would suspect it would be under Quantize Category for you. Explore your key commands and see if you find anything.

Notice: your input routing is set to nanopad in the screenshot…

Thanks!

No, the triggerpads don’t trigger the keycommands…like you can do for the computer keyboard
That’s the whole problem here…it seems to be not possible with the nanopad…but i do want that.
With assigning keycommands to the computer keyboard there is no MIDi involved, but i don’t know how it works with the Device Setup in Cubase 6.5
That is why i give you a screenshot of (unordered?) list,perhaps i am overlooking something

Do you think i can find it there?

Notice: your input routing is set to nanopad in the screenshot…
Ok…that is not good?.. try with no input as you earlier suggested?