How to record via a Marshall Amp

I have a Marshall MG50CFX amplifier.

On the front of the amp, the is a headphone/line out. (1/8" plug)
On the back is a 1/4" plug for the speaker.
There is also a “Send” 1/4" plug.

What would be the best way to record a guitar?
Via one of the outputs to a USB device?
Or via a microphone?

Thanks,

David

There is no best way, but I’d say do both: Line out plus a mic in front of the speaker. Don’t try using the speaker output! Another idea: apart from recording the amp, also record the clean guitar sound directly before it goes into the amp (split the signal). That way, you can use this signal to use as source for a VST Amp you apply in Cubase.

The reamping paradigm works with amp sims and amps.

You record dry and monitor wet. Only problem I have with using a real amp with a mic when monitoring it is that it’s too loud. I was going to put it in the attic or something but I just got into some amp sims that I like better than using the amp.

I say use the send. This is a regular balanced output (unlikely it’s unbalanced TS but could be), plug it straight into the line input (not the Mic input). Then in DAW apply a Cabinet plugin such as Guitar Rig/Amplitube whilst bypassing the main “amplifier” section.

Assuming the goal is to capture the Marshall amp’s tone and sound, the above won’t work. But only the OP can clarify…

I think both the output has its own character on it.

Headphone/line out usually contains the amp character, which let you hear it through the headphone
I think there is no difference in the other two, they’re just built for different function.
On the back the 1/4’’ plug is for external speaker and ‘‘send’’ plug is for routing effects after the amp preamp.

I’d recommend Arjan’s thought. You just never know which outcome would fits best for you, plus there is more flexibilty in this setup .

i respectfully disagree. However is simulated/IR cabinets arent working for you, you can always send the recording back to the return at a later time (and after some editing) to get the mic recording sound. Its the Di of tube preamps method.

That’s a play of words; the tone and sound of an amp come out of the speaker, irrespective of when you record it. Taking the send output just does not give you the amp sound.

But anyway, since the OP hasn’t reacted yet we cannot be sure what he wanted except the title of this topic.