how to rename plugins with Plugin Manager? Fixed in 8.5?

fretthefret ya i mean something a bit more elegant than an xml editor but youre right, and thanks for the tip also!

i was thinking it could be a nice graphical GUI in a vst plugin wrapper or something so you could just call it up within Cubase and scroll down the list of plugins and change the names…

having said that you would still need to reboot Cubase actually so it may as well be standalone…just thinking out loud…

ideally its something $teinberg will do within the Plugin Manager…with their “new leaf” that they have turned and public statement maybe this will be addressed?

(still testing this myself but now with a 2nd confirmation from tryphon its looking positive! saves you having to do my WinHex hack of the plugin files directly which is great news!)

Cheers
Blackout

The file I edited is PluginManager.xml, NOT plugins.xml. It is located at Users/USERNAME/Appdata/Roaming/Steinberg/Cubase 8.5_64

So you added the lines to “PluginManager.xml”?
Or they were already there?

I opened PluginManager.xml and it already had all my plugins listed. I simply edited the names and saved the file. I did this using Notepad. I have renamed 90% of my plugins by the way (including Waves CLA-2A) and so far it has been completely trouble free.

I’m not sure if this is relevant but just FYI… I had previously created a new Plugin Collection in the Plugin Manager so I could customise what plugins are shown and put them in different folders etc. This might be why all my plugins are already listed in the XML file so if you are not seeing them then try making a new collection.

are you saying that after editing the name in the XML file that the new name is how it appears in the mixer? when i do it here it changes the name as it appears in the plugin list, but once loaded in the mixer its still the original name.

No, it remains the same in the mixer but is renamed in the plugin list and (crucially for ME) it is renamed on the screen of my Avid S3 controller. I realise lots of people are mainly concerned with names in the MixConsole but that doesn’t bother me that much -sorry, I was looking at this more from the perspective of my personal ways of working when I posted! :slight_smile:

ok. damn. most plugins i can just change the name of the dll directly but i have one set that that doesn’t work with. the t-racks set.

I am on C9.5 now. For fabfilters vst2 I simply renamed dlls, and for vst3 I edited vst3plugins.xml by removing “FabFilter” everywhere where said FabFilter “plugin name”. And everything is working fine, even my project where I used FF vst3s (before renaming them) opened with no problem, with all FFs nicely renamed in the mixer. The inly cavet is, when you search “fabfilter” in your plugin list, you are geting only vst2s, but if you search for specific plugin, like pro-q, you get both vst2 and 3.

Hope this helps!