How to respell all flats in score as sharps? or vice versa.

Is there currently such function?
Just bought it today and still very new to it, great layout overall.

Yes: hold Alt and press - (hyphen) to respell using the note name below the current note name, or = (equals) to respell using the note name above the current note name.

Sorry, I meant is there a function to turn all flats to sharp/ sharp to flat in the entire score instantly with a click of a button.

No, Iā€™m afraid not (and I confess I canā€™t think of a situation where this would be likely to do exactly what you would really want).

The function would be very useful for people like me who compose in logic and import midi track from logic to advance scoring tool, and put it into correct key instantly. Without having to change notes one by one.

I hope Dorico will be able to do this in the future :slight_smile: as ā€˜Sā€™ do, to respell all flats to sharp/ sharp to flats.

Hi Daniel and ronny,

Firstly, Daniel, thank you very much for the program. I can tell already that it is going to be superior to the other two (and Iā€™ve used both of them on and off over the past 25 years)! Dorico really has some ā€œdream come trueā€ features for me.

And another would be the one that ronny wants. Iā€™d REALLY (really) like to be able to change all accidentals to flats (or sharps) all in one blow.

Thanks,

John

Old thread here I know, but one situation Iā€™ve come across that seems related to this: If I have a range of music that is in, say, the key of G# Maj, and I want everything expressed instead in Ab Maj (including chord symbols and note spellings). Is there a way to do this in one swoop, without manually flipping every note and chord symbol? Changing the key doesnā€™t seem to affect chord and note spellings.

EDIT: After a little more experimenting, it seems I can at least select all the notes at once, and use the Respell command to flip them all at once. This doesnā€™t work on chord symbols though.

You should use the Write > Transpose dialog to transpose up by a diminished second.

ronnycmusic, you are not alone with your suggestionšŸ˜Š

It works! A bit of mental gymnastics to conceptualize transposing by a diminished second, but it does get the job done. Thanks Daniel!

Solution:
select all notes ā†’ Filter ā€œAll sharp notesā€ or ā€œall flat notesā€ ā†’ apply the desired respelling with the shortcuts

2 Likes

This is a good one. COuld there be a sort cut for it?

You can certainly assign a shortcut to it, yes, on the Key Commands page of Preferences. Or you could access it via the jump bar, and even assign a shorter jump bar alias if itā€™s something you expect to use a lot.

Am I blind, or has this nifty little shortcut been replaced?

Hi @wrldwdarr

this is strange. It should appear on the menu, or by right clicking on the selection (with the list in this last way, only showing what is possible to do with the selection).

Witch version of Dorico are you using? (but I confirmed just now that this options was added in Dorico 1.2 !!!)

1 Like

For some reason, when I checked ā€œabout Doricoā€ā€“it said I was using Elements!
Then I shut the program down, opened and checked again and it was Pro!
Is there a way that I inadvertently switched to Elements???

Yes: if you press alt when you click on the Dorico icon when starting up, you open Elements, if you press command (control on windows)+alt (only for Mac) you start SE.

This can be very handy if you want to see what is doable with lower versions if you for example have to assign some homework to students that have a lower version.

Ah thatā€™s what happened. I was having trouble starting Dorico again bc of a ton of VSTs which repopulated (without my wanting) to the ā€œallowā€ side. So I tried using ā€œoptionā€ to start, bc that by-passed the VSTs and allowed me to startup.
Got it. Thanks!

1 Like