How to restore File Groups, when WL crashes deeply

Sometimes, like this evening, Wavelab makes a deep crash. By that I mean, when I reopen Wavelab after the crash, all Audio Montages and Audio Files organised in File Groups are gone.

It’s like loosing a map of all the projects I worked on, as all the organisation made is just gone. I can restore recent Audio Montages and Audio Files, but not the File Groups in which they were organised, at least it seems so.

So I need to know: Is there a way to restore my full organised whole, so I can open WL and it looked like it did, this afternoon - and if so, how?
And If there isn’t a way at the moment, is there a plan to be able to do that “full restore” in the future?

This has happened to me before, maybe 5 or 10 times in all, but when it happens, it’s a hell of a mess.

So please let me know there’s a chance to restore all I had, a way to restore my File Groups?

::
Mads

Not sure if there is a way. Do you use a specific project file, or do you use the default project?
The default project location is found in the file Startup.ini
In this file, there is a line “Project=…”
eg. Project=C:\Users\philw\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\WaveLab Pro 11\Cache\DefProject.wpr

If you have a backup of this file, then you have a way to restore your file groups.

In WaveLab 12 there is a plan for an archiving feature.

Using a specific Project (.wpr) for each project you are working on seems to always ‘recover’ well in these unhappy situations. The worst might be you may need to reopen a montage that you were working on or something. Project seems to be an under-utilized aspect of WL.

Thanks for your replies PG and Paul
I simply wasn’t aware of project files (and therefore don’t use them - until now), so no help there.

What I would have liked to see, here in this sistuation, was a simple list of ‘recent file groups’, just like ‘recent audio montages’ and ‘recent audio files’ - so they could be restored from there.
Would such a feature be possible?
Mads

A right click at the top of any tab group will reveal a menu that includes Recent Audio Files/Recent Montages/Recent Batch Processors

It’s nice to know - problem is, it’s the File Group tabs that are gone!
Mads

Oh dear … anyway, I just checked and that right click menu will appear pretty much anywhere in that general ‘tab’ area. Th other option might be to create a new tab and access the right click menu from that … I’ve never had to do this but worth the try maybe.

Thanks for the suggestion, but no the relevant File Group Tabs are gone.
I hope PG will consider my suggestion - to be able to open “Recent Projects File Tabs”.
Mads

Do you mean, to restore the file “list” of a given file group? That would be a nice idea indeed.

1 Like

Not exactly, but that would be nice too!

What I wish for, is that Wavelab keeps the File Group history, and that one can choose to reopen these Tabs, from the file menu, the exact same way as it’s now possible for Audio Montage Files and Wave Files.

So in a situation like mine now, I could just look for my lost File Group Tabs there.
But it’s also very useful to be able to find and reopen closed File Tabs, even if they were closed on purpose.
I know I would appreciate this option and use it a lot, as I often work on many projects at the same time, organised in File Groups. I could close them and reopen them if I needed to do that. If I’m not mistaken a closed File Group now, is just gone.

Does it give meaning?
Mads

PS: Maybe it would also make sense to be able to save a File Group.

That would rather imply that you use this function, right?

This is already possible, though a bit hidden…

Yes I always give my File Group names (right clicing on the Tab)
No I didn’t know I could save them for later recall. I will of course try this :slightly_smiling_face:

Does this include a history list, as I explained above?
Mads

Not yet

As long as it’s coming :slight_smile:

Wouldn’t it be better if the save File Group option was less hidden. Maybe right click on the Tab to save. And even a reminder if unsaved File Group Tabs are present, just like an unsaved Audio Montage?
Mads

Absolutely, yes.

1 Like

Just great - Looking forward to it!
Mads